Sounds like DLR misses Michael Anthony

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Feb 13, 2013.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Can't blame him a bit.
    MA's voice is unique and was a large part of VH.
  3. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

4. coyote1

coyote1

Not to mention Anthony is a rock solid bassist. Gets less respect than he deserves.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

As much as I can understand EV wanting to work with his son.
    He is not ready yet or ever to fill Mike's shoes. :bag:
  7. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

+1
  8. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector

9. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

I'd derive from that interview that at this time there is clearly no agreement with the VH camp or he would have NEVER mentioned MA.

Too bad. I was just listening to Chickenfoot III yesterday and Mikey sounds great. His voice is there and it's great to be able actually hear the bass!
  10. mcm

mcm

I agree who doesn't
  11. qervo

qervo

As a singer , it's real comforting to have a strong backing vocal in the band.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wolfie's a lot better than you guys seem to think he is. Don't know about singing but he plays pretty well. Give the kid some credit...he's a kid but he's not up there sponging off his dad's name...at least not on this last tour ;)
  13. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I aways felt Michael's singing was stronger than his bass playing. That said , his playing served the music well with such a dominant guitar player and his singing strengthened the overall sound of the band.
  14. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Wolfgang is fine....but no one can really replace Michael Anthony....a very underrated bass player with an incredible voice.
  15. mcm

mcm

Wolfie is good and that's great but so what. Technical ability is way overrated.
    Just ask cliff Williams, chuck berry, and angus young, etc.
  16. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector

that ^
  17. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

West Grove Pa via the Northside of the 'Burg!
    I was never a big MA fan but he got the shaft. It is ok to want your son in the band but there is no reason to blast him in the media too! Here's to MA a class guy. He is much better off without VH
  18. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I have both played MA bass lines and sang his vocal parts. The latter is the harder of the two. I have told people for years that his vocals were one of the "secret weapons" of that band and a very large part of their sound. But that's true of his bass lines as well. They were nothing flashy, but really held the song up on a rock solid platform.

I have not seen EVH's son, so I can't compare the two at all. I can only confirm that he has some big shoes to fill. That being said, I can't imagine Ed letting his son go for a true reunion. It's just not going to happen. I'm really glad I was just barely old enough to see a show right before the 1984 tour. There were hardly any synth parts. Dave was strong vocally. And the band put on one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Full disclosure: I was a big VanHagar fan as well. Sammy and MA singing together was impressive. And Sammy's guitar work freed Ed up to just go nuts. Sammy had some sort of issue during a show I saw. He ran off stage during the middle of a song but stopped long enough to speak to MA. For the rest of the song, MA sang lead. It was awesome. I think MA needs a solo project. (I think that was one of the scenes in the "Right Now" video, wasn't it?)
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I agree except he really isn't better off without VH that was his life I love the guy but he's never going to have that level of success again.
  20. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

West Grove Pa via the Northside of the 'Burg!
    Success is not always measured in $ or the size of the crowd. He is apparently wealthy so finances should not be an issue. He was in one of-if the most popular rock bands of his time, played in front of millions- he has been there and done that...now he can just make some cool music with some really cool and talented guys with no pressure-if it works that is great and if not-then he had some fun. In my opinion he has decided to just move on and good for him.....hate to slam him but he played the worst bass solo I have ever heard (1984 tour). Just a bunch of noise! He was never in Eddies class as a musician but from what I understand Eddie was never in MA's class as a person. Just my opinion
  21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cliff is brilliant. And I agree that Mikey has something special with Van Halen. But as of now it ain't happening, and everyone seems quite happy and content where they are now, so why should I complain?