1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Source Audio Dubstep

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by UpsideDown727, Sep 20, 2011.

1. UpsideDown727

UpsideDown727

So I love the dubstep possibilities I've heard on videos.

My question is, can you get those sweet wobble sounds from the BEF or do you need the BEF pro or the Midi EXP?

(Ps I already jumped the gun on ordering the BEF and Hot hand without doing all the research. I was really excited.)
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I've had good results with the BEF Pro and Hot Hand so far. You should be able to get something close with the BEF, although I've found that I can get a much better wobble with the Pro, as you can adjust the Q in the backpage menu. Currently I have the BEF Pro and the Bass Multiwave Distortion Pro, and added a Digitech Bass Synth Wah last night. The combo of all three has really expanded my options and has yielded some great results so far. If you have some type of synth/ distortion and an octave pedal, you can add the BEF and expect some very nice wobbling.
  3. UpsideDown727

UpsideDown727

If I can't, Ill see if I can return it to get the pro. But If I can, any suggestions on synth pedals?
  4. NicJimBass

I'm far from a synth pedal expert, so take everything I say with a grain of salt! I've had really good luck with the Source Audio Bass Multiwave Distortion Pro, but it seemed to lack balls, for lack of better term, on most or all of the settings. I used the Bass Synth Wah last night as an octaver mainly, and that certainly beefed things up nicely. I thought about looking into the Boss SYB-5, but not sold on it from everything I've seen on youtube.

I guess it all depends on what you're hearing in your head. For me, a "synth sound" is what I would describe as a harsh, hard square or saw wave, that is fairly gritty. It's almost like a gated fuzz (like a Wooly Mammoth) but with the ability to control it a bit more, if that makes sense. I've been looking up a lot of stuff on youtube lately, trying to find what I hear in my head... the combo of the BMWD and BSW get's pretty freakin' close, at least for now!
  5. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have a ton of synth effect sound samples on my webpage. Check my signature below.
  6. Dethrats

Dethrats

7. NicJimBass

8. UpsideDown727

UpsideDown727

does he use the pro on one one two? I've heard he used the midi exp into the syb-5 for his Dubstep Bass Guitar video
  9. Explorer

Explorer

I'm not sure if you're asking if he's using a BEF at all on One One Two, or which flavor.

He states that he's using the BEF and the Hot Hand on One One Two, and regarding which one he's using, here's a picture of his board which Source Audio posted.

[​IMG]

That's the Pro in the lower right, so I expect he's using the Pro on that recording.
  10. Kobaia

Kobaia

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
  11. wolffman

wolffman

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    the MWBDP is rather polite- which is nice in contrast to other synth pedals like the bass synth wah, markbass super synth, mirco synth, etc... it's one of the reasons I love it, clean synth sounds. But when I want to really give it a temper I add some dirt before it to make it angrier, overdrive can make it bite a little harder sound thicker and make the distortions sound synthier. Putting a gated fuzz before the MWBDP (I use the oxide) can over power tit but make the fuzz sound synthier than it would alone. And -1 octave solo'd before the MW will give it a nice fat low sound. IT certainly isn't the ballsiest pedal out there but you can coax it to get harsher
  12. Explorer

Explorer

Interesting! I hadn't seen that one yet, so I figure the display was just wrong for the smaller BEF. That's what I get for trying to fit a blurry picture to what he states in the comments. Now I know that picture doesn't represent what he used on One One Two then, according to his comments.

"The ring on my thumb is a 'Hot Hand' made by Source Audio. I'm also using Source Audio's Bass Envelope Filter pedal. Spector Bass guitar, as always."

Still a mystery then which unit he used, I suppose....
  13. Kobaia

Kobaia

Disclosures:
    I've figured it out.
    If you use the hot hand MIDI-EXP you can use the out to controle any thing with an EXP in.

Iron Either LPF perhaps.....

I'm sure he's using the BEF. but anything with an EXP in can use that pedal....
  14. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

so.... ....can anyone confirm whether it might work with a line6 m9?
  15. Kobaia

Kobaia

Disclosures:
    I dont see why it wouldn't
  16. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    The Hot Hand MIDI EXP box is capable of creating lots sophisticated MIDI messages which can be used to drive almost ANYTHING which accepts either MIDI or an expression pedal input (hence the "EXP"). I think - but will need to check - that Nathan is using the MIDI EXP to generate MIDI signals and then is using that to control the SA BEF Pro via the MIDI input. The MIDI EXP pedal is one of Jesse's masterpieces, but it is for more advanced MIDI users. (Gastric could write a term paper on the subject :) )
  17. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    MIDI EXP works with anything which accepts MIDI input signals.
  18. NicJimBass

19. NicJimBass

I am finding this to be the case... putting the Digitech Bass Synth Wah in front of the BMWD made it a whole different animal!
  20. UpsideDown727

UpsideDown727

Thanks for all the input guys, its been a lot of help. More is always welcome too.