Source Audio HUB release?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LSMFT6, Jan 2, 2014.

1. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

I've been keeping track of the S.A.S.S thread but there hasn't been much mention of the highly-anticipated Hub lately.

As NAMM approaches, does anyone (rsmith) know if a more solid release date for the Hub has been made official?
  2. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I'm very curious about this as well. This unit potentially changes most of my setup. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread for any news.
  3. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

True dat...I want me some Hub action.
  4. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Here is a comprehensive update.

We built 6 units by hand. 2 we kept and 4 are in the hands of TalkBass beta testers. Most issues have been ironed out and the testers seems to really like how the Hub unleashes the full power of the SB2 architecture.

We will are building all-SB2 pedal boards for NAMM, with the Hub as the key component.

We have built 200 production units. The production test jig and procedure is complicated and new for us, so we may hand test the initial units.

We want to limit where the initial sales units go so that we can easily get them back if we discover any trouble. Our web store is going to be the likely initial sales channel until we can better understand the market for this thing. I think this means we will be limiting initial sales to the US and maybe Canada. I know this is less than ideal, but we want customers to be happy with us long term!

When? If all goes well we should be able to start shipping units in 2 weeks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Awesome, thanks! Either way, looking forward to NAMM
  7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Roger, is there any chance you could do a "Hub for Dummies" explanation? I have three pedals chained together with MIDI so that the tap tempo from the first gets passed along. I also have a USB-to-MIDI adapter in order to get one of my multi-FX units connected to a laptop. Thus ends my experience with MIDI.

My understanding of this product is that it is a hardware interface that can talk to multiple pedals, both Source Audio pedals and non-SA pedals with MIDI, but in turn requires some sort of 3rd party controller to tell it which MIDI signals to understand. Is this accurate or am I way off base? If I am correct, what sort of 3rd party controller will work?
  8. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    At its most basic level, the Hub allows you to capture and store 128 settings of up to 5 SB2 pedals. You will need some kind of MIDI device to provide the address (such as the MIDI Mouse) to the Hub. One day we will embed this part, but not yet. It does other things too, but to me this is the biggest deal. Others might want to comment?

Here is more info:
    http://www.sourceaudio.net/index.ph...ontrolling-and-connecting-source-audio-pedals
  9. Adamixoye

Is the Tech 21 MIDI Mouse the best/recommended option, or are there any others?
  10. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    That is the one that we use, but we should hear from the beta testers!
  11. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    In theory ANY device that can send MIDI PC should be able to successfully control the Source Audio Hub. A computer, mobile device with MIDI controller app, drum machine / brain, the list goes on.

I've personally been successfully using a Line6 M5 to change patches on the Source Audio Hub. As a bonus you get a tuner and all of the other stuff the M5 can provide, and text based patch names. And they're not much more expensive than a simple MIDI Mouse or other MIDI controller pedal. Downside is it only provides 24 patches instead of a full 128, so that could be too limiting for some users.
  12. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

What is the plan when you embed a device? Will it be similar to the MidiMouse with just a numerical display or will it have the ability to name the patches. Is there any consideration to having a built in expression/volume pedal or even both? This really has some very interesting possibilities. I'm sure it isn't easy to design and implement but I'm sure you guys will figure it out. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Speaking of the finished product when can I, or anyone else, preorder the hub? I already have the Orbital and have my sights set on the envelope filter(Manta?) and probably the OFD.
  13. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Well....alright.

All SA2 pedal setup - this is ideal obviously. The hub links the SB2 pedals and allows sharing and routing you Hot Hand and TRS expression pedal input. What you do is tweek all the knobs and buttons up to 5 SB2 pedals then push the save button on the hub. You have now captured a patch or scene of the current state of all your pedals and can recall them with a simple midi controller and you can save up to 128 scenes with bypassed scenes in there if you are using the midi mouse type controller.

***think about this. your exteral midi controller changes all the SB2 pedals at once, but there are times you only need a single preset on only one pedal, like Fuzz. Well, all the 'scenes' are independant from the SB2 pedal on board presets foot switches. so you could just stomp on that preset.

Mixed Midi setup. If you already have some other midi pedals you can now add SB2 pedals to your setup. The hub and SB2 pedals all function on midi channel 1 and function together. So you may need a more complex midi, but not necessarily, you can do creative stacking and re-mapping to make a single midi channel work for you.

Hub functions:
    MIDI USB input (but does not pass thru to Midi out/thru)

CC control/programming for EVERY parameter of EVERY SB2 pedal. Yep, I've got midi designer programmed with every CC. The possibilites here are amazing.

Hot Hand Input - this will send you HH signal to all you SB2 pedals then you just turn on Input Control to HH on as many pedals as you want on for tgat scene. Like a HH expressionator.

Expression Pedal Input - same as HH above, but the trick part here is that the Exp and HH signals are digital and the pedals know which is which with the Input Control on each pedal.

9v power - yep, standard pedal power.

Expernal Midi controllers. This has been a little bit of an issue, but I think the hub/adapter is small and compact and will allow current midi users a simple device that can fit on pedal boards or rack systems. There are plenty of options out there:

Midi mouse - may be the smallest option, I have one but for me I like direct access buttons. With midi mouse you can alternate fx secens with bypass scene to easy switch scenes. Single midi channel.

Midi Moose - I do not have this one, but it has banks of 5 instant access buttons. Still only 1 midi channel.

FCB1010 - great controller. Up to 5 midi channels, can send multiple PC/Cc per button press. 10 presets per bank, 2 expression pedals. Solid gear, but kind of big.

LINE6 M5-M9-M13. The m series pedals can transmit a midi PC that basically is the same as the preset you are picking on the M pedal. There's not much documentation of this, but it works.

Voodoo Ground Control Pro - I don't have one, but all the pros use this and it foes everything the FCB1010 does and is easier to program. Plus there are 2 external expression inputs (can convert HH3 to midi CC ;))

Ipad + midi designer + Ik blueboad - my new setup and it's pretty cool. Wireless bluetooth, battery powered(and usb powered) so its totally cordless. I will be posting more infos and video on this setup. if you are working with midi designer and need some help, please PM me and I will try and help.

There are many more controllers out there and I can't really cover them all, but the above are the ones that I've been looking at.
  14. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Will the Hub also allow you to expand the number of presets that can be stored for a single SB2 pedal? As in, using the Scenes, will you be able to store and recall more than just the two presets assigned to each footswitch?

I love having presets, but I feel a little limited by only having two per pedal for such a versatile line as the SB2s.
  15. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    I think we are going to study how you all use the Hub and only add in what really makes sense on the 2.0. Jesse and I talked a long time about what Hub 1.0 should be. Baby steps are important to ensure that evolution happens effectively. The TalkBass community has an enormous impact on our product development activities.

Keeping the Hubs low cost seems important. ($99?)

I don't like to take orders until I am really confident that I can deliver something soon. I don't want you all to get mad at us :mad: (finally got to use the "mad" smilie!)
  16. Adamixoye

This might be the wrong thread for this, but can someone explain to me how I can sync tempo between SA and non-SA pedals without using the Hub?
  17. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Yes!
    The Hub can store 128 presets for up to 5 SB2 pedals. We call this "scene saving". The only tricky part is you need to feed the Hub an "address". This is what the MIDI mouse is doing.

We will need to do some videos of this when the NAMM pedal boards are created.
  18. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Perfect, thanks again. I haven't experimented with MIDI yet but the 1/4" expression pedal input and the ability to save multiple presets to one pedal makes the Hub well worth the price of admission for me.
  19. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

I know what you are saying and this was discussed between the beta testers and is a great idea, but may be more difficult to do.

What you are asking is can the midi controller change banks and put new presets on the built-in preset foot switches on each SB2 pedal. No, but it does expand tge amount of presets with external memory.

I believe it's tge best of noth worlds. you can instant access 2 presets per SB2 pedal footswitches, the change whole scenes up to 128. So 128 scenes plus the combination of instant access presets = lots of sounds
  20. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

I see. Would this be something that the v2.0 would address?
  21. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

??? My question then and now is: how many instant/stompbox persets and how many scenes do you need?