1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Source Audio Power Supply

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by apdamron, Nov 28, 2012.

1. apdamron

apdamron

i know the manual says other power supplies could damage the pedal, but i wanted to know if anyone has tried using a normal power supply with the BEF pro or MWBD pro. The reason I ask, is I just bought a ps-55 pedalboard but I'm a bit concerned to use the built in 9v DC now... :help:

2. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

mine actually work better without the stock power supply. Worked fine with 1Spot and now my mxr mc403.

I understand you cautiousness

3. Skrogh

Skrogh

Anything that supplies a regulated, well filtered 9 volts, and is capable of supplying 250mA of current (I think it's 175mA w.o. the HH) should be fine.
    I have noise on my SA pro pedals, if I use the supplied European PSU.

Does anyone know how SA pedals feel with a daisy-chained 1Spot?

4. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

well, daisy chain is what they recommend against. Mainly because of noise that can happen and the concern of underpowering. I used a 1spot for a long time, but only 1 SA pedal. When I got 2 I started using Sa power supplies just to be safe. Then I was having noise issue with my Freeze pedal and decided with 8 pedals, it was time to get a good power supply.

I think a quality isolated power supply would be fine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Digital is really nice for these. That said, I ran mine on a daisy chain with a 1spot quite successfully for a long time before I made the switch.

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

I use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 with my MWBD Pro, never have had an issue.

--

8. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

The Voodoo Labs PP2+ works fine, but be sure to use the #5 or #6 power slots because the others don't have enough mA.

9. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    The only thing that is really bad is high voltage (much more than 9v) and/or the wrong polarity. We see at least one returned pedal a year where it looks like 18-24 volts were applied!! We have tried many different power supplies, and most work fine so long as there is more than 120ma or so. 250ma is clearly ideal.

10. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Wow, I can see how that could happen by accident with multiple voltage power supplies. I think I will tape over my 18v ports on my power supply to avoid that. Are the pedals fixable after being overpowered?

11. Skrogh

Skrogh

By the way did you change the design on the European psu. I made a note to you about a year ago, that there is no cap after the lm7809 in the psu, this results in some very bad noise (radiostations, led blink, hum etc) I ended up prying mone open and atickin a 470u on there.

But recently i've been looking into the theory of switchmode psu's. Underpowering should not be a problem with the 1spot. 15watts is quite a lot.

12. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    We generally fix anything which is sent back to us to fix. Most of the over-powered pedals can be fixed by putting in a new voltage regulator. We did get a HH3 back this week that must have gotten 24 volts. It looked like an Imperial Star Destroyer went after it. :meh:

13. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

my stock psu (and I have 2 and tried both) would make my BEF Pro power up in a non-functional state about half the time, when you kicked on a preset, quite nasty sound would come out, then cycling power reset it to normal. Since using the MC403 I haven't had that issue which is good, I could survive without my BEF Pro. Now my MWBD pro has an appointment with Jesse, apparently I have unit #48 and it needs the new firmware to be compatible with my midi hub.

14. apdamron

apdamron

yea the pedals were acting kinda funny so i did so more research, gonna make two parallell cables for the ps-55 that'll end up pushing 200ma a piece

15. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I use a 1 spot to power four pedals: a tuner, an MXR compressor...and two Pro Source Audio pedals. I have no problems, except some noise when I plug in my Hot Hand receiver. This may or may not have anything to do with how it's all powered, however. Not sure.

[​IMG]

16. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    We just cracked open 3 units and they all have caps as they should. Can you send me/Jesse email on this? We need to know more about your power supply and where is came from.

17. ManuelJG

ManuelJG Supporting Member

Well, I power 11 pedals with a powerall and I get acceptable little noise. I've also noticed I get a weird noise too when I plug in the hot hand receiver but it is not loud enough to be considered as a problem.