1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Source Audio Soundblox MIDI footswitch?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by snogaws, Feb 12, 2012.

1. snogaws

snogaws Supporting Member

I was looking at a Source Audio Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter Pro and noticed it has a MIDI input. I was wondering what a good compatible MIDI footswitch would be to use for selecting presets.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. riti

riti

I'm being given a Yamaha midi foot switch in the new year and will be trying exactly this. I'll try and remember to do a review :)
  3. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

anything midi. I thing a BEF Pro controlled by a M9 or a GT-10B would be a cool setup. I'm comtrolling mine with a FCB1010 and that also feeds expression pedal into the BEF pro. A Tech 21 midi mouse or Misi Moose are good options to. Then you have instant access to all 6 presets. When I first got the SA pedals I thought I'd never use the midi jack, but now I won't consider a pedal that doesn't have midi. I can have 3 pedals (up to 5) come on to whatever preset I need with one foot button, then bypass all with 1 other button.
  4. Skrogh

Skrogh

Eh how would you go about controlling it with an m9 *Explain. Explain!*
  5. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    I remember someone telling me that certain multi-effect pedals can generate MIDI controls and associate them with presets. This was relevant to us when we created out little EQ pedal which has a MIDI input. I have heard that setting up the internal EQ in things like the M9 is not all that accessible, so using the EQ on the Pro's or our little one might make things easier. We have not done this, but we have heard at least 2 people tell us that it can be done on a POD XT Live. I hope someone on TB knows about this.
  6. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

I have not done it yet, but according to the manuals you can send midi program changes when you press on a preset. So, lets say you push a preset with Fuzz, it can send a midi signal to the BEF Pro to activate a preset all with that one press. Now most all of the multi-fx I've studied (B9,M5,M9,GT-10b) all only send midi on one channel. So one device. But, you can set multiplr SA Pro pedals to the same channel and pair up 2 fx's or 1fx and 1 set to clean. A M9 + BEF pro would take care of a lot of fx needs

edit: as a bonus, you can remap the presets on rthe BEF Pro, so the one midi channel issue really is easy to work around.

I also re-looked at that M9 manual and they are not clear on setting it up, but I know you can. A friend of mine uses a M13 to control a midi Marshall head. I will tinker with my M5 and report back
  7. Skrogh

Skrogh

Huh, I just looked through the manual (both pilot and advanced) and could not find any info on it. MIDI out seems to only work when dumping scenes to a pc.
    If you get it working, please give me a shout.
  8. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

I use the midi out feature on my M9 in scene latch mode to send program change data to my BEF Pro. Super easy and convenient large patch changes with a small setup. The M9 and BEF Pro users manuals were pretty clear in setting it all up.
  9. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

BEF Pro controlled by M5

works fine. basically you can't program the M5. It sends a Program Change command identical to the preset selected. So M5 present #1 sends PC#01 which sets BEF Pro to preset #1, etc.

I don't have a M9/M13, but apparently those send the PC on scene changes. So there you go!!

They never intended the M series to be a full-on midi controller. The B9 and GT-10B will also allow you to assign the expression pedal to be used on an external midi device, plus I think you can swap around the fx loop to different points in the fx chain, like sometimes before then other times after dirt of whatever.
  10. Skrogh

Skrogh

Ahh thats cool, thanks. I guess it won't work with the mwbdp then, but a small uProcessor could change that... :)
  11. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

why wouldn't it work with MWBDP? All the SA pro pedals respond to the same midi commands, the MWBDP and Classic pro just cannot be remapped because of morphing, so just setup 1-6 persets/scenes on M series. Where you are limited is wanting to use same SA preset on more than one M preset/scene. But then its time to get a better midi controller.

And Roger, it would be convient in the Programmable Eq had PC#07 as a bypass like all the other pedals.

Edit: Oh, I think you meant to use a BEF Pro and a MWBD Pro at the same time. Yes, I have a Midi Soultions Thru Quatra for routing midi to multiple pedals, but this will not be needed on the SB2 pedals once the midi adapter is finished.