1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Source Audio suggestions thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LSMFT6, Feb 4, 2014.

1. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Got any pedal ideas that you think would be perfect for SA to tackle? Post them here.

I think it was would pretty cool to have an "ultimate EQ/preamp" pedal in the SB2 framework. Parametric EQs, high/low-pass filters, notch filters, things like that which make any bass (or guitar, if there's time) infinitely tweakable, even if it's passive.

Unlike, for example, the SansAmp line which I like a lot, the idea of this pedal would not be to "get" a certain legendary vintage sound or range of sounds, but to give you the ability to alter and improve the sound of your instrument with a depth that just isn't really being offered, let alone at the >$200 price range of the SB2 line.

I'd buy two.
  2. ryansalmond

ryansalmond Supporting Member

Cool idea.
  3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

The notch filter(s?) on the Wal preamp were partially what gave me the idea. Very unique sound with a lot of possibilities.

Speaking of which, think of all the Tool fanboys like myself who would flock to a pedal like that which could easily make any cheap beater bass sound pretty much exactly like $5k+ Wal, or any other coveted high-end bass tone.
  4. ryansalmond

I also think comb filters are highly under-rated
  5. Yurtra

Yurtra

Throw in the ability to dial in a tiny bit of warm, low gain drive (along the lines of the Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk) and a pedal like this would be hugely popular among bassists!
  6. ryansalmond

Though I don't think we should single out Source Audio
  7. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Ah, comb filters too.

The only reason I think this pedal would be great for the Soundblox2 line is because of their interface style. One knob and button combo can do several things, and that's not super common among other builders. For example, something as basic as input and output gain and a 3-band parametric EQ is already anywhere from 8 to 11 knobs for the average pedal. The multifunctionality that SA brings to the table could cut that down to, what, 3 knobs and a couple of buttons?
  8. Flagg

Flagg

Not to mention how awesome it would be to have Hub functionality with an SB2 design EQ/pre - having detailed tone-sculpting to round out whatever other effects you have lined up for each scene would be so rad. Get all your effects tweaked just right and then get a final mix, that'd be killer.
  9. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I like this idea!
  10. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    All Source Audio vacations have been suspended in support of this thread.
  11. therhodeo

therhodeo

Also while they're at it they can build a luxury car that costs $10k and gets 70mpg.
  12. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Delay. I would love to see what Source Audio would do with delay. I would imagine that they could come up with some interesting models. Something similar to the Particle or the MASF Possessed would be really neat. Especially with Hot Hand or expression control.

It would be neat to see what they would do with a crazy pitch shifting/octave pedal or something with arpeggios or a crazy pitch shifter/octave with arpeggios would be badass.
  13. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

A compressor, with settings for optical, vca, etc; control over the knee; sidechain eq; metering; separate controls for pre-gain and threshold.

jeremy
  14. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Definitely delay and an Octave/synth. I do like the idea of the preamp pedal too.
    The Hub is an awesome idea. I have it and love the simplicity in which it's setup. I always thought that Source Audio could do the best multifx pedal ever. If they combined the best of all their pedals into one box with a tuner, eq and compression with hh and expression compatibility? I'm sure it would kill!!!
  15. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

+1 on the delay.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

+1000!! I would grab a delay by them in a heartbeat! Delay freak here. :hyper:
  17. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Synth and polyphonic pitchshifter.

The pitchshifter needs to be able to do every interval +/-1 up to +/-12, and be able to dial out the dry completely so ii can function as a "transposer," "droptuner," "virtual capo," etc. And then any arpeggio, harmonization effects after that are just a bonus.
  18. sotua

sotua

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  19. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

+1

I hesitate on getting the midi hub and more SB2s (have the Orbital and Manta) only for fear that they will come out with a one box solution
  20. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    This will not happen any time soon. Jesse and I have had some long philosophical talks about the "all-in-one" vs the Hub.

One thing that is really nice about single pedals and the Hub is that you get the power of a big complicated system, but you also get all the nice features of a mix n' match signal chain. Further, SB2 + Hub gives you an intuitive and immediately accessible control surface. There are NO menus! With a SB2 Hub system the pedals are all right there and still behave normally. Maybe you want to tweak a knob on preset #48. Perhaps add in a touch of reverb. Try doing that on the fly with an all-in one. Plus I like looking at all the pedals colors and LEDs!

I am much more inclined to add more single pedals and make the Hub more powerful than to create a huge all in one. I just thought of one other benefit. Our customer systems can continue to evolve over time as needs change and the power of pedals grows. Buying a single piece of expensive gear at one moment in time seems risky and limiting to me.

We may change our minds some day, but this seems to be a very powerful and compelling direction for our company, and most importantly, our customers!