Source Audio Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DeltaPhoenix, Oct 3, 2012.

1. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

I have read in the Source Audio Sourcerers thread that R.Smith has confirmed Source Audio has an interest in making a synth pedal, just that it is on the back burner and for us to not hold our breathe.
    So, maybe this thread can show them the desire of people on TB to have this pedal made, granted we are only a nominal percantage of the effect buying bass player population. Also maybe we could state our hopes and dreams for different features within the pedal.

I of course would love to see multiple wave forms, at least 2 LFOs w/detune and expression controlled rate (helps the wobbles), ADSR, frequency control, the ability to have no clean signal if I desire, hopefully more than 6 presets (maybe 9 if the Sounblox Pro pedal is used, more if a different style of pedal is used). Overall, I would the pedal to be modern voiced, not emulating analog.

I am fine with any of the features being in the backpage, I'll dig in. If the tracking is as good the MarkBass SuperSynth I'll be happy.
    I would be fine paying $350 for such a pedal, more if it goes above and beyond. It is 2012 and it is time for someone to make a synth pedal that doesn't have a major short coming, I think SA can do it.
    How about you?

2. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

That would be killer, especially for octave(s) up settings.

A filter with a couple of options (single pole and multiple poles) would be killer.

One thing I haven't seen on other synth pedals is a delayed sweep in the filter section. This would be where you coud set the sweep to be as fast or slow as you want, but start a little bit later. I think the sound might mimic the harpsichord/guitar intro on Tell Me Something Good.

3. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Building on what both of these fine gents have said, I have to agree with the mulitple filters, LFO, and wave shapes statement. Especially if it's modern voiced, I think this could be the real answer to competing with the Deep Impact. The way the SoundBlox Pro and 2 controls work (multi-functioning buttons, knobs, EVERYTHING) you could have serious options crammed into the Pro-sized box. And 9 Presets via three banks of three buttons? AND Source Audio tracking? ANDDDD Hot Hand/Expression capability??!! Then cut some of the options out, make some killer presets, and sell the regular SoundBlox size for half the price.

Come on, boys.... I've got some serious spacey funk I gotta get out. I'd pay a pretty penny if we could solve this whole bass synth quest. You guys (and I) know you can do it.

Sub'd. :)

4. avvie

avvie

NO NO NO!!!! I CAN'T AFFORD ANY MORE!!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. honotron

honotron

If anyone can pull off a deep impact killer its source audio

7. pedulla1

pedulla1 Supporting Member

Yeah I'd give it a look-see. I have an EHX bass microsynth but I think having stored settings would be nice, like the Deep Impact.

8. dalo320

dalo320 Supporting Member

I would love to see this happen...

9. kaputsport

kaputsport

Disclosures:
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I'll throw my hat in, just because I think I have a few ideas that they might look at as a way to sell this pedal.

1: MUST HAVE Octave up, and maybe ^1+5th. Give us something to compete with the Unibass.
    2: Hot hand capability
    3: Pedal linking
    4: Make a synth and patches that can create dubstep wobbles striaght out of the box.
    5: Maybe do what the others did, and put the multiwave pro distortion and envelope filter inside.
    6: Keep it under $400, preferably $300. Think quantity sales...
    7: Presets are a must, at least 9, but I would not complain about more.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that I would rather play with 27 knobs than have to edit on a PC. I would rather the pedal be the size of Texas, but adjustable without a PC. It might just be me, but I think that if the pedal were to be twice the size of the Deep Impact, and twice the buttons, twice the knobs and twice the readouts it would be far better than USB and a PC editor.

Multiple LFOs, wave shapes, sound generators, etc would be incredible, and an assignable control for the hot hand... Meaning I assign the hot hand to the parameter I want to control.

I am all for it, and ready to buy... Just make it.

10. Yurtra

Yurtra

All of this. All of this SO hard.

11. DeltaPhoenix

I think your #5 makes #6 really had to do.

Also personally I really dislike the MWBD alot but I really like the BEF Pro, so personally I would rather have all cost associated with the pedal be strictly for something new (but hey that is your dream list).
    I figure HH is a given.
    It would be cool if SA did something like Eventide where any and all parameters are expression controllable at once and it isn't global, you choose which one on each patch.

12. topo morto

topo morto

I'm not actually that interested in a synth pedal, unless it's a lot better than what's already out there. However, If they've got a decent pitch tracking technology, I'd be interested in seeing that able to drive parameters in the existing fliter and drive products.

13. jesseRSA

jesseRSA

Disclosures:
    Lowly, Dirty Designer and Engineer: Source Audio Effects
    we are listening :)
    keep the suggestions coming.

14. kaputsport

kaputsport

Disclosures:
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I agree, it is difficult but doable. Honestly, with the distortion and envelope in there, you can get 2/3 of the way there already. The envelope is going to be the part that allows things like dub step tones out of one pedal. I think if it was not in there, it would be difficult to be different than any other pedal out there. This way, they are THE pedal to buy for Dub wobbles and great synth tones. SA will sell millions if they are the master of all in this market.

15. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

I don't have Eventide expression works, but I do like the way the Line 6 M series expression pedal works where you heel the pedal, make settings to all parameters, then Toe up and set those, with a lcd screen that shows all the levels. I suppose defining what the HH controls vs what expression pedal controls would make this a little more complex, but still doable.

Obvisously it would have HH, linked and midi controlled. But a nice set of factory presets would be very helpfull, good tip Kapusport

16. alec

alec

What if it had bluetooth and you could edit advanced settings in realtime with your phone? Or generate and manipulate tones by dragging your finger around?

17. Erad

Erad

SA + synth pedal? I'm in. From seeing their Reverb, distortion, envelope, MIDI-exp and the innovation with the HH, I have no doubt that they have all the ability to make an amazing Synth pedal like we've never seen before, while keeping it affordable.

I feel no need to give them input. :)

Make it and we will buy!

18. Shish

Shish

make it to work fine with active basses.
    make pulse synth with LFO (and expression pedal) control of the pulse width.

19. DeltaPhoenix

I agree that Major elements of the BEF Pro should be incorporated into the synth. The best Wobbles (not using the Hot Hand) that I can get is expression control over the rate of an LFO. Add expression controlled depth, set to be deeper when the rate is slower.
    Eventide expression pedal works by turning the knob where you want at heel with the expression pedal at heel and vice versa for the toe. So different parameters can respond more or less than others, or move in opposite dirctions.
    I do think a solid Synth pedal from SA has the ability to sell well. Seemingly more people are wanting to add electronica elements to their music (not just Dub Step). Making great wobbles will sell units too. No doubt that a single pedal can't do everything that can be done on a computer, but as long as it solid and gets the vibe nice and is easy to use live, it'll be a winner for everyone from original electronica IDM stuff to guys in coverbands that need to cover synth bass in modern pop songs. The reality is that these elements are steadily being made more mainstream so this pedal could be a real utility pedal for the Top 40 cover band guys.

20. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Holy cow. I haven't felt a GAS pain ever since I bought the BEF pro and MWBD pro...until I saw the title of this thread. I almost forgot what it was like to lust after effect pedals that I don't have! Consider me interested.

21. DeltaPhoenix

I am glad that you guys keep real good contact with us :)