1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sovtek 1x15" cab? Worth considering?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bedroommuso, Dec 1, 2012.

1. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

I came across a Sovtek 1x15" cab for $150AU (maybe less), loaded with an eminence delta. I've never seen or heard one before, but the cab says 'Made in Australia' and looks to be circa 1999 judging from other threads online.

Does anyone have any experience with these cabs? Or have any idea how much they weigh? I'm not looking for anything high end but would like something a bit lighter than my 30kg EV TL606. I can also do a straight speaker swap as my TL606 has a brand new delta, coincidentially.

[​IMG]

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

I don't think it is really a Sovtek cab. Every one I've ever seen (not very many!) was built in, well, Russia, and was tolexed. This may be a much better cab, made is Aus, with a cool badge on it. Just my guess.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't think Sovtek cabs ever had Eminence speakers

4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Well, I take that back. Google images has several Sovtek 4x10 cabinets, same logo, for sale in Australia. With Eminence logos on the cones, too. I learn something here, everyday!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    huh
    ok then!

7. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Bro these were made in Melbourne.
    They arent real Sovtek Cabs but they are very nice.Ive owned that same cab & sold it & regret it.They have copied Laney designs & threw Sovtek badges on them.
    You look around Aussie 2nd hand music stores or Ebay AU there is alot of 4x10 that go with this 15`.The 15` is harder to find actaully !
    The funny thing is they freakin rock.
    About 2 years ago i found two 4x10 & gutted them putting Legend BP102`s & drilled 2 ports & also lined the inside of the cab with underlay from the carpet store,the cabs were made with only one hole & no tubing as a port.These cabinets all house Eminence speakers & thats what makes them good aswell as the construction.The 15`cabs use Delta`s & the 410`s have Alpha`s all Eminence quality speakers.
    If im correct the company got into strife when Sovtek found out they were ripping them.They are a Laney rip off with Sovtek badges stuck on, i think the company was called Electric Factory Melbourne.I wrote to them to see if they could make some custom ones for me but 'no way' they said.
    All i can say to ya is get it,you wont regret it.Even if you find a 4x10 they rip it.Even better if you find a 410 hook it up with this 15` for a mssive sound.They work well together.
    Good luck.

8. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Wow.. awesome information, what a gem of a forum!

Sounds like a keeper of a cab, especially for cheap, I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow.

Any idea of the weight by any chance? I'm not expecting a featherweight, but 22-25kg would be an improvement on my 30kg cab.

9. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Its between 20kg & 30kg.

10. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

That's still a window of 10kg.. I need something a bit more accurate than that :D

11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

30kg is pretty light for a non neo 15. My Trace 1518 is 40kg. It's 3/4" birch ply 24x27x17.

12. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

I suppose you are right.. For some reason I was looking at the Ampeg PF115 (20kg), Hartke TP115 (23kg) and assuming that 30kg was a bit over the top for a 1x15. Not to say anything about the sound quality of those cabs.

However, there isn't much at the 20kg end, most cabs seem to be around 25-30kg, Neos perhaps 20-23kg. Obviously there is variation depending on the size of the cab.

Trace elliot 1518 says 26kg?
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=1x15_bass_cabinets&oa=pra

You've got me thinking, I would probably be worried about a lighter non-neo cab, which may be lacking in size or depth. Seems like Neo is the way to go in the end, preserving the size of the cab but cutting the weight of out the speaker. That said, if this Sovtek is somehow 4-5kg lighter than my TL606 I would still go for it, saving some cash in the process.

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The new Trace 1518 must be neo or else different material or braced light design. Mine is 40kg.

14. bedroommuso

bedroommuso