Sovtek bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hunterred43, Dec 5, 2013.

1. hunterred43

hunterred43

Anyone have any experience with Sovtek bass amps. A player from a local music store talked about them.
  2. Rshafer

Rshafer Supporting Member

The bassist in my band plays one. It's an all tube 100 watt model called Bassboy.
    It can get really loud, but is very grindy to say the least. He runs the master and overdrive around half way up that I have seen and pairs it with 215 cab. He's into a Lemmy type sound so it works for him. To me it seems like it does not have much clean headroom, at loud band level volume anyway. Sovteks are not known to be built with the best parts, but his amp has been thrown around for years and he hasn't touched it.
    You can listen to some clips of us here: www.necroveck.com
  3. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

I have the 100 watt bass blues boy. Played it two or three gigs a week for five years, with a 15-inch speaker. I was playing americana music then.

I found it surprisingly loud. Plenty of clean headroom for my gigs and it had a really nice old school tone. The tone stack is less articulate than most modern amps, but I liked the what I got out of it. Looking at the schematic, it's closest comparison is a bassman.

Rshafer says, "Sovteks are not known to be built with the best parts." I think that's probably because they shipped with plastic jacks and switches, which feel flimsy and look cheap. Mine have never failed, though. All of the other components appear to be high quality. The cabinet itself is remarkably solid and the transformers are huge.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Poormans Marshall SuperBass. There are a few MIG users on the original sub wattage tube club thread.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

7. Sartori

Sartori

I had heard that the Sovteks were basically Marshall-esque. Not sure how accurate that is, though.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

9. AudioClown

AudioClown

I haven't managed to get my hands on one of their heads, but if you ever come across one of their cabs get it. Their cabs are built really well. Surprisingly.