SPB QUARTER POUNDERS and your opinions....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VKoelho, Mar 10, 2014.

1. VKoelho

VKoelho

So I've been looking for a Spb-3 for my Squier Jbass Vintage Modified (yea a p pup on a jbass) but I ended up finding out about the other SPBs (1/2/4) and now I'm kinda lost.

What are the main differences in the sound between them?

Which would you recommend for someone who wants to play punk/rock/alternative music?

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

SPB-1's are the perfect vintage P sound in my opinion. They are an amazing pickup if you want it to sound like a P should sound.

SPB-2's are an overwound SPB-1 they sound similar, but with more output overall and a bit more low end. These may be something for you to consider.

SPB-3's, I personally cant stand them. They are very mid scooped, very boomy on the low end and harsh sounding on the high end. Some people love them, but I was never happy with them at all.

SPB-4's, I have no opinion on them, never tried them.

3. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

If you play Punk, the Quarter Pounds are the ones for you.

4. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

I have played in punk bands many of years.
    I used the spb-2 with great results.
    Very big and agrressive sounding with excellent mids and soft highs.
    spb-1 is the more standard old p bass sound
    spb-3 is more big bottom and harsh highs with no mids.
    See alot of people use them for that reason but in punk imo didnt work.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

I have a similar experience. I cannot stand 1/4#s and got tired of their sound really quick.

7. VKoelho

VKoelho

I've listened a bit of the Spb-4 and it has a lot of highs and mid (I guess, dunno a lot of these things) but I'm still between the Spb-2 and 3 ones...

I usually listen to blink182 and foo fighters and I like the sound of the bass (which are spb3), but you say so much good stuff about the spb2 that it leaves me with a problem choosing between them :lol:

8. MikeyThrottler

MikeyThrottler

Count me among those who absolutely love Quarter Pounders. I have them in 3 of my 4 P-basses and am getting ready to install them in the 4th. They certainly have extended highs and lows compared to traditional P pickups, but you can dial in plenty of mid character with your amp.

It really depends on the tone you're going for. QPs are great if you want an aggressive sound, but the SPB-1 and SPB-2 are more well-suited for traditional P tone. I'm a fingerstyle player and love the clang I can get from QPs, and I also like that they're hot enough to to slightly overdrive the preamp on my SVT without me digging in too much.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought QP's were rather dark on the high end myself. I took them out of my P Lyte for that reason. The mid scoop is there, though.

10. investario

investario

SPB-3 sounds harsh when you pluck it hard. But it will create a deep and clearer sound if you pluck it softly. I prefer the SPB-3, it's very versatile. When you need some punch and vintage tone, you can tweak your EQ, boost some mid there. Or use an Aguilar Tone Hammer in your arsenal, as i did. SPB-3 makes a cool recording bass with its versatility, but will make your P sounds less vintage as original P.

It's all about taste, but if you play punk stuff, i recommend you to try them. Maybe marry them with heavy stainless strings and picks? :bassist:

11. Membo

Membo

I put a used SPB-3 in my 80s G&L SB-1 (the original pickups were gone when I bought it) a few years back. I had tried the SPB-1, a Di Marzzio P and active EMGs. I love the sound! The bass seems much more alive when playing live than with the other pickups I tried. I've used it for rock, R&B and some jazzier things (but switch between rounds and flats depending on the gig).

12. JC87

JC87 Supporting Member

I play SPB-3's, its a great pickup but the lack of mids are really making me want to switch out the pickup in favor of the new Geezer EMG P.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

SPB-3 with round wounds sounds harsh and clangy IMO.

SPB-3 with ground rounds is thumpy, ballsy, and GOOD!

They have lots of high end, and tons of low end. Personally, I like tons of low end, so a flat(ish) string accentuates the lows, and attenuates they highs. I can still get a decent pop out of the Brite Flats if I dig in.

14. KOLAD

KOLAD

I'm looking to trade my Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pounder for something more vintagey-er. Anyone interested shoot me a PM.