1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

speaker buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dlstyley, Nov 30, 2009.

1. dlstyley

dlstyley

One of the speakers in a 2x10 cabinet started buzzing, regardless of volume. It's not super loud, but definitely noticeable when I'm practicing. If I lightly touch the speaker cone (bad idea?) it stops immediately, but starts again if I take my finger off of it.

It sounds almost like a cable or something is touching the cone, but I removed the speaker from the box and don't see anything obvious.

Thoughts on what to try next? How do I troubleshoot this?

2. ack

ack Supporting Member

I had this happen to me on my Advent home stereo speakers - I replaced the surrounds and that fixed the buzzing. Amplifier speakers may be different - I don't know. There were very slight cracks (the surrounds are made of very thin foam) that I missed during the initial inspection.

Hopefully, someone here with more experience in bass amp speakers can lend a hand.

3. dlstyley

dlstyley

After some reading and troubleshooting, last night I figured out that about a 1" portion of the seam between the dust cap and the speaker cone had come unglued. I re-glued it using Elmer's (the Elementary school kind) glue and a toothpick to get the glue into the seam.

The buzz is gone! Hopefully the glue will hold up, but that's all I had to use...

Thanks Talk Bass!

4. BritPicker

BritPicker

I was going to say, it's probably something coming unglued.

Is 'Elmers glue' what Brits would call 'Copydex' - a latex-type glue that is white but dries clear?

Anyway, the same happened to my speakers but there wasn't much surface area for the glue and I have aluminum cones, and the cones had cracked a bit too!

I ended up using contact adhesive and strips of paper kitchen towel (both flexible and strong), to reinforce my repair. When it was dry I also gave it a very light coat of black spray paint, so now you can't really see the repair behind the speaker grille.

Purists will probably say that is a terrible thing to do, but I didn't really want to pay for a new speaker, and bass isn't really a hi-fi thing anyway.

Repair has held up well thus far (6 months)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dlstyley

dlstyley