1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

speaker buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dlstyley, Nov 30, 2009.

1. dlstyley

dlstyley

One of the speakers in a 2x10 cabinet started buzzing, regardless of volume. It's not super loud, but definitely noticeable when I'm practicing. If I lightly touch the speaker cone (bad idea?) it stops immediately, but starts again if I take my finger off of it.

It sounds almost like a cable or something is touching the cone, but I removed the speaker from the box and don't see anything obvious.

Thoughts on what to try next? How do I troubleshoot this?
  2. ack

ack Supporting Member

I had this happen to me on my Advent home stereo speakers - I replaced the surrounds and that fixed the buzzing. Amplifier speakers may be different - I don't know. There were very slight cracks (the surrounds are made of very thin foam) that I missed during the initial inspection.

Hopefully, someone here with more experience in bass amp speakers can lend a hand.
  3. dlstyley

dlstyley

After some reading and troubleshooting, last night I figured out that about a 1" portion of the seam between the dust cap and the speaker cone had come unglued. I re-glued it using Elmer's (the Elementary school kind) glue and a toothpick to get the glue into the seam.

The buzz is gone! Hopefully the glue will hold up, but that's all I had to use...

Thanks Talk Bass!
  4. BritPicker

BritPicker

I was going to say, it's probably something coming unglued.

Is 'Elmers glue' what Brits would call 'Copydex' - a latex-type glue that is white but dries clear?

Anyway, the same happened to my speakers but there wasn't much surface area for the glue and I have aluminum cones, and the cones had cracked a bit too!

I ended up using contact adhesive and strips of paper kitchen towel (both flexible and strong), to reinforce my repair. When it was dry I also gave it a very light coat of black spray paint, so now you can't really see the repair behind the speaker grille.

Purists will probably say that is a terrible thing to do, but I didn't really want to pay for a new speaker, and bass isn't really a hi-fi thing anyway.

Repair has held up well thus far (6 months)
  5. dlstyley

dlstyley