1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Speaker cabinet problems

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by feelinglame, Sep 19, 2013.

1. feelinglame

feelinglame

Was playing my old Sunn 412lh when it suddenly stopped working all together. No sound whatsoever. It's not my head, I've been playing it through my other cab, wondering if this sounds like it would be a speaker problem or a wiring problem. Opened up the back, nothing seems to be loose.

It's from the mid-70's, so maybe it just needs some new wiring? I've never blown a speaker before, so I don't know what the symptoms would be, but all of them blowing at the same time just seems implausible.

Any ideas?

2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    If the entire thing just went silent, rather than just one or two drivers cutting out, I would start by looking at the input jack and it's associated wiring.

Also some old cabs had fused inputs. If yours does, it could be that, or the fuse holder that just got old, worn out, cracked plastic, etc.

3. feelinglame

feelinglame

Didn't even think of that. I'll check it out. Thanks!

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Do the battery test on the cabinet. If you get a hearty clunk from the cabinet it should be able to reproduce what the amp is putting out.

If the amp is SS Check also for a DC voltage across the amps output jacks. It should be virtually zero volts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

If the 12's are wired in series, you could have lost just one of them.