1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Speaker Cable Input Jack popped straight out!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MrBKerth, Feb 5, 2014.

1. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bass Player with Big Local Supporting Member

Greetings. This evening some regrettable events transpired and a bass case came down and nearly cleaved the speaker cable straight out of the cab.

I was thinking of lining the hole with superglue and just popping it back in there. Suggestions? This is seriously bumming me out as it's my only cab. It still works btw. Just looking to get that back in there to protect the jack and wires.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sv6if85fu8x4tg5/20140205_224827.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/g536154s9uh41nd/20140205_224832.jpg

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't use superglue. You'll never get it off if you need to. Maybe a removable Loctite or similar.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Weird little round jack plate.

Is it normally glued to the carpet and come off, or is it retained from inside and broken?

4. MrBKerth

There's a smaller little ring of broken plastic that attached to something on the inside. Was going to put a very thin layer of blue loctite on the edges of the broken plastic as well as the rounding that contacts the carpet. It's an 80's Peavey 115

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

If you can pull the rest of the plastic out without breaking it you should be able to glue the two pieces back together. There are two part glues made for plastic that actually melt the pieces together. Should be $5 at a hardware store.

Or you could get a replacement Peavey jack cup for not much more than that on ebay.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Many companies use a metal plate and a few screws to mount a jack. Here is a nice replacement part. It would do a better job than the plastic one. Not sure if the mounting hole size is the same and you'd also have to order some black wood screws for it.

Another alternative is to get a plate punched for a speakon and ¼" jack. Wire them in parallel and you will have the option of using the cab either way depending on the head that is connected to it. This would require enlarging the hole in the cabinet to accept the plate.

8. Rob22315

Rob22315

Call Peavey. If the part is broke, they will sell you a new one or some replacement screws at a reasonable price. If it just needs to be reassembled because the nut on the back or the screws came loose, they can tell you how to put it back together. Getting it back together will likely involve pulling the speaker so you can get to both sides of the jack plate unless its just screwed in from the front.

If the wood is damaged, some titebond from your local woodworking store will become your best friend. I haven't had a reason to tear into the jack on any of my Peavey cabs so I can't say exactly what it would take to get your cab back together. Peavey techs can give you the best advice. I have found the very helpful. Peavey also has community forums with experienced folks online as well.

9. MrBKerth

Found the piece that broke. Superglued the parts that are permanently supposed to be together, reassembled the fixture, and it sounds and feels as good as new