1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

speaker cables for PA

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bazza99, Feb 14, 2014.

1. bazza99

bazza99

I'm having a prob with our PA cutting out and need to check my cables. I know how to check for shorts but I also need to make sure that we are not using instrument cables in place of proper speaker leads. So,
    1) Problem 1 is some of the cables have plastic moulded ends and cannot be taken apart to inspect, is there any way that using a Multimeter would tell me if they are guitar or speaker leads?? Or would readings be the same?
    2) One big cable I have has marking "Oxygen Free Copper Cable" - is this likely to be a speaker cable??

Any help appreciated as I'd rather not throw out what might be OK cables!
  2. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

1. I'd bet a dollar that anything with molded plugs is an instrument cord.
  3. fkh006

fkh006

If you used line level for speaker cables you better just throw them out.
    Or at the very least use them at rehearsal or home to be sure they are working before you gig with them.
  4. ggunn

ggunn

Run signal through the cable and jiggle the wire right at the back of the connectors to see which one makes it cut out; most likely one connector (or both) is bad and all you can do is cut it off and replace it. When you cut the connector off, you will see if the conductors are coaxial (one conductor is braided or twisted to surround the other) or side by side. Do not use coaxial cable to run speakers. Better yet, don't use molded end cables at all for speaker cables.

"Oxygen Free Copper" on a cable just means that it is more expensive but not necessarily better in any way.
  5. Geri O

Geri O

First, re-assign the molded cables to other line-level duty...

On 1/4" cables with the solder-on ends, you can unscrew the shell from the 1/4" connector and check the cable. If it's two separate conductors (or wires), usually black and white, or red and white, then you have a speaker cable. If you see a single conductor and what looks like braided wire or spiral-wrapped wire, then you have shielded cables that are suitable for instrument use, but NOT speaker cables.

In your case (and you DO need to go through your cables and check to see what they are), I suspect a conductor might be shorting against the shell or the other conductor, causing the amplifier to see a dead short and shut down. It might be wise to check your speakers, too. A shorted driver can cause this shutdown, too.

As for Oxygen-Free Copper, that's synonymous with "Snake-Oil-Copper". And Monster cable, while well-built, has management that's full of ****. They will never get my money.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

So true. Anything I've encountered came with either independent 1/4", Speakon, or banana connectors. Read: repairable. Personally, I think 1/4" should be outlawed. I can fix Speakon and banana plugs on the fly if necessary.

Riis
  7. ggunn

ggunn

FWIW, I had some speaker cables years ago that had molded connectors. The connectors all eventually failed.
  8. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Personally, I would just buy 2 pairs of quality speakers cables. Blatantly label them SPEAKER and be done with it. You should always have extras anyway.
  9. Zephrant

Zephrant

And spray paint the ends hot pink (mask the metal parts first). Not only will no one ever steal them, they will last forever, just so they can embarrass you.

In theory, a bench grade ohm meter could tell you the difference, but you would need one capable of four wire ohm measurements to measure the very low values on a cable like that.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

To the OP: will either the mixer / amp or speaker enclosures accommodate Speakons? Some of the budget-focused offerings do not and still rely on 1/4" > 1/4".

I use nothing but Speakons in various configurations (2 conductor, 4 conductor, bi-amp, bridged mono, etc) but still label each accordingly so my bandmates can cable things up in my absence. I use something like this for identification:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Count-B...671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d1ee04f7

Riis