SPEAKER CABLES!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NOZMEDA, Nov 23, 2012.

1. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

I'm a severe audiophile. So, Im constantly lookin at my setup and searching for the "weakest link" that limits my rig from sounding the best it can. With that being said, and with what I currently own, I only notice one weak link. My speaker cable from head to cab. Im using a 450w@4ohm head with a 4ohm cab. My speaker cable is a 14g speakon. Does anyone know, however subtle, if there would be a sonic difference by increasing the gauge to 10 or 12? Would i burn out the cabinet's internal wiring due to its assumed smaller gauge? Any input about anything posted here would be helpful.
  2. subdude67

subdude67

i am by no menas an expert but i don't believe that you will hear any difference nor will you damage your cab by using a thicker cable.
    people have used wire coathangers versus 300$ cables and noone could tell the difference.

you are probably quite ok with what you use right now.
  3. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

I should probably let it be but its hard until i know for sure. I think my rig sounds awesome, my band thinks my rig sounds awesome, patrons at shows complement my sound, but I cant help but feel that I can just get -that little increase- of overall quality.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It won't make a lick of difference. Remember that inside your cab, the wires connecting the speakers are likely 18 ga., so there's no point in going huge.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

That seems to be the consensus so far from alot of the stuff ive read
  7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

There would be no audible improvement going with a larger gauge. What rig are you running?
  8. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Ampeg b2re head. 450w@4ohm
    Ampeg svt410hlf(4ohm)
  9. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

The cab is 500w rms
  10. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Assuming we're talking about decent cable in all cases, there will be no difference sonically between a 14G and a 10G or 12G speaker cable. The main difference would be in power handling capacity. Smaller number = thicker wire= ability to handle more current. I suppose you could do the math to back it up but I would think a 14G cable would be adequate for a 450W amp. You can't really burnout the wiring in your speaker just by using a thicker speaker cable. A slightly thicker cable won't deliver anymore current/power than the one you are currently using. Speakers and crossovers tend to burn out long before internal wiring and typically only if you are exceeding the rated power handling capacity of the speaker cab for extending periods of time.
  11. soulman969

soulman969

I think you have your answer right here. Your band and your audience think you sound great. You even think your rig sounds great. So why make a change?

I don't think changing that cable will make one lick of difference either. I've used some different gauges in the past possibly thinking the same as you are but I could never hear any audible difference.

Most of the time we're far better off when we don't let out intellect interfere with our hearing. :)
  12. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Ugh. Do? Math? The? Aww man. So i guess it would be like 1.aquire impedance data on both current and prospective cables. 2. Apply data to 450w and calcutate current difference. 3. If current difference is notable, ensure that i dont exceed my 500w rms rating?
  13. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Yeah.. Youre probably right. Bass tone: the never ending quest of super awesome greatnesstitude
  14. dincz

dincz

Keep looking - it's not the speaker cable
  15. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

I suppose you could do that but not sure how it would help you answer your question.

You're making this way too complicated. We're talking about a very short cable, usually 3-6 ft, for transmitting the very limited range of frequencies (relative to full blown audio systems) produced by your bass. The most important thing about that cable is how reliable it is so if won't: 1. Fail on a gig 2. Short out and risk damaging you amp/speaker.
  16. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

My main thing is, im trying to bring out the capability of this cabinet. It can produce 28hz sound. I want to have a bass sound thats heard in the ears and felt in the guts
  17. Ffreddy

Ffreddy

whats the head and whats the cab?
  18. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Ampeg b2re
    Svt410hlf
  19. Mayo Fan

Mayo Fan

I don't think you should bother about the gauge of the cable. Personally I felt my rig sounded a little tighter with a smaller gauge cable due to the damping of the speaker etc... Difficult physics I don't fully understand but are audible if listened carefully ;)
    If you ask me, you should look into different qualities, brands and thus priceranges of cables. When you compare a $20 speaker cable to a $100 or so Evidence there's definitely a difference to my ears. As you'd expect those differences are even smaller if you don't use an equal quality instrument cable etc. But according to you're statement that the speaker cable is the weakest link in you setup is assume you do.
  20. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Yeah, i use decently high quality from my bass into the amp, out through the effects loop, and back in. My speaker cable on the other hand, is a generic brand from guitar centre. Music man or something. I dont have any quality control problems or malfunctions. Just tryin to find a way to have the most premium set up for what i have. Stuff that i can swap over to when i upgrade my bass and amp.
  21. delta7fred

delta7fred

+1000000

:bassist: