1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

speaker changeout

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dukey donkey, Jan 9, 2014.

1. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

I'm thinking of replacing the speakers in my peavey txf 412 with eminence Delta 12b's. Yes or no? Trying to up my rms to 1600... good idea? I can't find any reviews for the speaker. I'm running a carving b2000. Into it with a peavey headliner 410 on top.

2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I've got a Roland 412 that I loaded with Delta 12b's. I modeled the box in WinISD and it's not quite optimum for the speaker, it's too small so it's not flat. Nevertheless, the cab sounds pretty good. I use it with an Ampeg V4.

I would not try to put 1600 watts into the box though. That's the theoretical thermal rating of the speaker, and doesn't take into account the excursion limits (because that's dependent on the box).

3. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

Well the 410 is rated for 800 rms ..running that and the 412's at 2.6 ohms would draw like 2000 Watts from the carvin. Could I safely.run that arrangement?,

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Putting high wattage speakers in kind of misses the point here. The watts is a thermal measurement of how much heat the voice coils can handle. With a bass guitar, many speakers will reach their mechanical limits first. Xmax and Xlim. Xmax is how far it can move back and forth and still produce relatively clean tone. Xlim is how far it can physically move before damage.

In this case, the Delta12LF can handle more bass than the regular Delta as it has more xmax. The Delta Pro may not have quite as much xmax as the LF but much more Xlim, meaning it might run out of clean tone a little sooner, but can handle being pushed much farther past that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

If you're trying to change the cabs impedance from 8 to 4Ω, you won't be able to with the Delta LF sice they only come in 8Ω, but it doesn't matter anyway. Changing from a 4Ω load to a 2.67Ω load with that much power to begin with will be imperceptible - and with the wimpy xmax of regular Delta 12Bs, you'll just blow em up real good.

You might look into some of the 4 and 16Ω drivers Faital makes, but it won't be cheap. If it ain't broke, don't break it.

7. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

The 12b's I'm looking at are16ohm.. the flax is 2.44 mm ... not great I suppose.

8. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

Damn autocorrect. Xmax not flax.

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    That is very poor for bass performance. The Delta 12LF has twice the xmax of the 12b. That translates to being able to handle something like 4 times the power and stay clean, or at least move twice as much air.

Everything is a balance of compromises though. Drivers that can make a lot of lowend often will either sound fairly bad through the uppermids/topend, or just not have much response up there at all, making a very "dark" sound. Lowend performance is what makes the bass loud, the tone and character of the sound is in the mids and highs.

+1 to the above post. I don't think going from 4 to 2.67 ohms will make any difference in real world output. That amp can even push a lot of power at 8ohms.

Faital does make some nice drivers in alternate impedances. With the 8ohm Eminences, your options for a 4-driver cab are stuck at 8 or 2 ohms.

10. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

The 8ohm eminence lfa's have xmax of 4.88 mm .. would that be suitable? Paired with the 410, I'd be pushing a 4ohm load...

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The question should be will the reloaded 4x12 compliment your 4x10. you can only find this out by doing the experiment.