Speaker cone color - replacement issues

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by waveman, Jan 9, 2014.

1. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

So, for the second time I have had to deal with this. The issue is that say if you had a current or near current cab, wouldn't you expect that the speaker cone be about the same color of the speaker that came with the cab?

The first time I ran into this, I could understand a little more since the cab had gone through an over hall - redisign, and I ordered the replacement off of ebay, rather than the cab company. It looked really odd in a 2x10 to have off colored speakers to me so I just bought another new one and sold the old one.

This time, I got a really good deal on a 4x10, and it seemed like one of the cones was having some distortion issues, so I looked around on the manufacturer's website and ordered the speaker that appeared to be a direct replacement. So I get the speaker out, and it solid black, and the OEM speakers are a dark slate color. Also, the NEO magnet housing is completely different. These cabs are still in production, so you would think you could order a speaker that matched exactly... the answer to that is no. I called said company, and they confirmed the speaker I purchased was what you would order. The guy basically said, "You can't see it". But you can, it just has a metal grill.

Am I the only person that this would bother? I don't like it both from an aesthetics POV, but also a resale POV... it would turn off potential buyers.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Speaker cone colors fade just like anything else so not a surprize. The basket change could be a redesign or going from a vendor to in house production.
    There used to be cone dye that speaker repair houses would use to match other existing drivers. It was/is a special product hard to find on the open market.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Speakers are not for looking at.

4. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Here is a little trick for you. Cheap flat black paint make them look brand new with no problems at all. I restore cabinets for people all the time with stained up speakers and they are amazed with how they look.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Here' another - black shoe polish. I've used it for years with no problems. Easy application and terrific looks.

7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I would be very afraid of changing the sound of the drivers with this method.

with this one as well, but not quite as much. That is, if the polish is the liquid type in the applicator bottle.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It would bother me, but I don't know that there's much you can do, other than the suggested stuff.

9. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If one speaker is damaged the others are most likely caned near to death anyway, so good engineering practice demands that you replace all of them.
    Sell the good? ones on eBay, you won't loose much and your speakers will match.:bassist:

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

As was mentioned, there are ways to touch up the color of speakers.

Speaker cone material is dyed in production. When applied onto the surface, some cones can take a dye better than others. Some are mostly paper, others have pre colored synthetic fibers that don't absorb the dye. Adding a dye to a cone is not going to change the mass of the cone in a way that will affect its performance.

You can buy inexpensive water based dyes at a hardware store, inks are available at art stores. (Speaking of which, ever try to give yourself a prison tattoo with India Ink?) You can test it on the back of the cone and see how it goes on and how you like it. An air brush works well to apply color but it can also be wiped on.

11. mbelue

mbelue

Don't all your cabs have grill cloth?
    :D
    How would you ever know?
    ;)

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

People call it a grill cloth but if you ever tried to grill on your grille cloth, it wouldn't last very long. :p

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    This ^

I've done it to a bunch of speakers. No affect on tone any time.

It's not like you're soaking the cone in paint. Just a light misting, just enough to even out the color.

Dies, etc. work well too. Haven't tried shoe polish, but anything could work as long as it isn't some thick, heavy substance.

14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I tried grilling beans once but they kept falling through the grille.