Speaker Driver Modeling

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ArtechnikA, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

There are several references to enclosure modeling that take driver parameters and model the performance of an enclosure.

I came across this video:
    http://video.techbriefs.com/video/Simulation-of-a-Loudspeaker-Dri;Sponsored-Videos-from-COMSOL
    that goes through the process of an advanced engineering modeling application to simulate the performance of the driver.

It's basically an infomercial for the big-ticket modeling package and the narrator has a fairly annoying voice, so I don't expect this will make anyone's frequent playlist. But it's interesting to go through it once to get an idea of how all the parts can be quantized and various performance characteristics (such as SPL) estimated (simulated). There's a bit of handwaving for the more technical bits, which is OK for an overview. e.g. "just type in the formula for translating voltage to electromagnetic flux density..."

Shows all the driver pieces and how they interact to transform energy to sound. Unless you're engineering drivers from scratch I don't expect you'll be interested in what they're selling - but it's fun to get a behind-the-scenes look at what the folks who are engineering drivers from scratch go through.