1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Speaker for B-15 clone

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Matt B, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Matt B

Matt B

Hi,

I am starting to build a B15 clone and would like a bit of input on the speaker choice.

I have searched these forums a lot and what it seems to come back to is that the eminence Delta or Beta 15a are both fair contenders. I was pretty close to ordering the Delta but keep thinking about the Weber Cali 15 with the Aluminum dome. It seems they are meant to be a close tribute to the JBL D140F which i understand was considered an upgrade speaker for the B 15 cabs.

Has anyone tried the Weber Cali 15 in a B 15 cab?

Cheers,
    Matt
  2. Matt B

Matt B

If no one has tried a Weber Cali 15 in a B15 cab has any body here had experience with them in any other bass cab?
  3. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Cool project. Sorry I don't have any input in the speaker but I have a question are you building the amplifier yourself? Is it from a kit or are you building from a schematic?
  4. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

I have nothing to offer, just curious about the answer.
  5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Haven't tried the weber. I've had a few eminences, a JBL K140, and CTS (stock and recones) in my B15Ns. The single baffle I had was complete with its stock CTS. My double baffle came to me with the K140, I tried some eminence, and finally settled on the reconed CTS. The aluminum cap JBL was a bit honky in that cab IMO, the CTS and eminence were smoother. If I was building a new cab I'd probably go for an eminence beta, but not having heard a D140 I can't really comment on the weber. Best of luck to you.
  6. P Town

P Town Guest

Are you reproducing a double baffle cab, or the later design?
  7. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Where did you find plans! I've looked all over. I've got a couple of Altec 421's begging for some B-15 cabs! I've also got a nice JBL-E140 looking for a cozy enclosure.
  8. Matt B

Matt B

Hey. I am building it myself from a schematic. I am not aware of a kit for them. I have not started building yet but have started ordering so I am committed. Should have something to show February / march.
  9. Matt B

Matt B

I don't have access to them from my phone here but the website ctg electronics. The guy that runs it is generous with info...
  10. Matt B

Matt B

I was planning on making 2 cabs for it so maybe I do a weber and a delta or beta. Once I have a preference order the extra driver. I will need to see how my budget looks in February. Thanks for the input.
  11. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    Here is a link to the latest B15N-style project on the site: CtG FCBN 51B

This latest rendition is sized so that it is "flippable" when used with a single or double-baffle cabinet. Keith does a great job of documenting his projects.
  12. Matt B

Matt B

For anyone that is interested... Once I get the chassis back from the laser shop (hopefully this week) I can start to put together my b15 clone based on the CTG layout. I have everything else here now.

I wanted to build 2 cabs. 1 with a weber Cali 15 and one with a beta 15a. I have the weber here now and then blew my beta 15 budget on a JBL k140. I will load the 2 cabs that way for now and get a beta in a month or two. Once I figure which speaker I like the sound of the best I will load both cabs the same way... If anyone is interested I will post some progress pics once the chassis is back.
  13. NKBassman

Please do.
  14. Matt B

Matt B

I have got the amp running, a little bit of hum to tidy up this weekend and a cage to cover the tubes to be built but it sounds amazing!

I have all the cutting done for the single baffle cabs but will not get a chance to assemble the cabs for a week or 2 at the moment, I have the weber Cali 15 and JBL K 140 ready to go and will order a beta 15 in couple of weeks.

Thanks to Keith from CTG

Attached Files:

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Errr Matt?

This amp should definitely appear in the Amp Guts thread. Both top and under chassis shots are required.

What do you mean by "laser shop"? I question because I have six blank chassis that need cutting. :)

Edit: I would also like to see an example of your work. How other folk put stuff together interests me greatly. :D
  16. NKBassman

I'm jealous of your skills.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Very nice work Matt. If it sounds half as good as it looks, you'll have a wonderful amp.
  18. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

Fantastic.
  19. Matt B

Matt B

I will look to add some details to the amp guts thread later. Here is a quick gut shot for now... This is only my second build so still a lot to learn but pretty happy so far. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1397615476.706742.jpg

In regard to the laser shop. I put a lot of work through a local cnc production shop for my day job so the are helpful with one offs for me.

I will show more details once the cabs are done.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  20. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Very, very nice Matt, Love my B15N. If I constructed it myself I'd probably starve to death (with a smile on my face) from not being able to leave it alone! Hope you can show more constraint......