Speaker Load Mimic Device?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by primussucks9126, Feb 11, 2013.

1. primussucks9126

primussucks9126

Howdy everyone. I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this, but is there something I can plug into a tube amp's speaker outs to mimic the speaker load of a cab to use it for silent recording?

I'm not aware of anything like that, but if it's out there, I think it'd be useful.

Thanks!

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Its called an inductive dummy load. A resistive one will stop a valve amp dying, but the sound is a bit different as it doesn't behave like a speaker.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Weber has/had one. basically a speaker motor with no cone so it comes close.

4. primussucks9126

primussucks9126

Sounds like I've got some research to do.

What im trying to do is put the dummy load on my ashdown little bastard and run the DI output on it into my peavey classic 120. Id run that into the 4x10 I typically use.

Does this sound like it would work?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JHAz

JHAz

+

tedweber.com scroll down to Attenuators (left hand side of the page).

USE THE LINE OUT. No sense risking whatever might go wrong if you overdrive the Peavy's inputs . . .

Although supposedly that's how Terry Kath got his guitar sound for his little freakout on the Chicago Transit Authority. Fender amp speaker output to fender amp input to speaker. Fun while it lasts.

7. B-string

While I'm not sure these are meant to replace a load entirely here is the Ted Weber site http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm.
    Why not run a cab on the LB then use the "send" which is post amp EQ to the Peavey?

8. primussucks9126

primussucks9126

Well the peavey has an input sensitivity control. Wouldn't that prevent me from overloading it?

The LB doesn't have a line out, only the DI out. I could maybe use the effects send, but I think that would bypass the preamp?

9. primussucks9126

primussucks9126

That's the temporary plan (cab for the LB and the peavey), but assuming I like that setup, id like to be able to do smaller gigs without having to take 2 cabs with me.

So the effects send is post EQ? Awesome!

10. B-string

The smaller cab from the LB could always be pointed at your drummer (they always seem to complain about not hearing the bass)?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Doesn't get the output tansformer, which is what REALLY makes a tube amp sound tubey.

12. primussucks9126

primussucks9126

Solid idea, b string! Im going to give this a shot over the next few days.

I considered that, jimmy, but id be going into a tube power amp anyway, so maybe that would be better?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yeah, as long as you have an OT in there, you should be OK.

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

As long as you purchase one with a high enough power rating, the answer is yes - it will attenuate or 'soak up' the entire power output of the amp. To be safe, you want an attenuator rated at least twice the rated RMS power of the amplifier. I think the LB is 30 watts, so you'd want an attenuator rated @ 100 watts (I don't know of any rated at 60-75 watts).

15. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
  16. B-string

Interesting opinion, so you don't need tubes just the OT? ;)

I was known for maximizing things with the stuff at hand. :)

17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    See Warwick Hellborg rig. Big chunk of the rest of the tube amp sound being really easy to sound good is lack of eq control, which is more about making it harder to get wrong.

18. thebean

thebean

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Red Bull, & Vitamin Water
    This should do what you want. Gives you 4 line outputs and a DI. Its rated 8ohms at 100w.

Palmer PDI-03

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    There are some who believe that. Jonas Hellborg certainly does. That's why his solid state Warwick Hellborg power amps have an output transformer despite having no tubes. Do I buy into that? Not really sure...never plugged into a SS amp with an OT before. I know folks who have that don't buy into it, though I can't make that determination for myself. No matter anyway...I cast my lot in with tubes in 1978 and I have no plans on getting a Hellborg rig ;)

20. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    You need something that mimics the impedance curve of a speaker (in a cabinet, which shifts the resonant peak upwards another ~30-40 Hz). To get the right feel/response in the low end, you need that impedance spike at the resonant frequency; you also want the gradual rise on the high end. The Weber motor doesn't mimic it - I've owned it - it sucks. Neither does the THD HotPlate - owned it as well. Neither does the Palmer, I believe it's purely resistive. You are better off building if you want to really do it right.

21. primussucks9126

primussucks9126

So im guessing that there's no way to get a spot on representation for the purposes of silent recording? At least that's what it sounds like to me.

What about for the purpose of loading it into another power amp? I can't imagine that would matter since it's eventually going into some speakers anyway.

Thanks guys! You've all been extremely helpful!