Speaker making a 'farting' sound when first used?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NZBassman, Feb 13, 2014.

1. NZBassman

NZBassman

I’ve got a Warwick 4 x 10 (600w 8ohm) and have had it since new in 2007

Anyway in the last 3-4 gigs, when I plug in my amp / bass…etc… and turn on to do a sound check, the top right speaker makes a ‘farting’ sort of noise.

When the farting noise starts I unplugged my bass, unplugged the speaker cable and plugged everything back in and turned the amp (Ashdown EVO 900 III) off and on, then it came right

This ‘farting’ sound only happens for about a minute then it seems to come right and does not cause any further problems – only when I first go to use it. :meh:

I’m not sure if unplugging everything / turning amp off & on had anything to do with it, but it is totally weird. :confused:

if it was a blown speaker or something it would 'fart' all the time wouldn't it? :eyebrow:

thoughts??

2. --Vissinger --

--Vissinger --

Perhaps it's a tube speaker that needs to warm up.

Anyway, there's something wrong with that driver

3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Seeing as it doesn't do it consistently points more to a bad cable/connection, dirty pot or amp problem.

Do you use an active bass? If so, is the battery good?

If it really is one speaker, check connections on that speaker, although, if you say it goes away with unhooking/hooking back up, shutting off/turning on other gear, leads me to believe it's a problem upstream from the speaker.

4. NZBassman

NZBassman

thanks - I'm not entirely sure it goes away when I unplug things and turn amp off and on - or if that's just a coincidence....

I did have an active bass 4 weeks ago wehen it started but now have squire vintage modified jazz passive.

I'll see if it happens at this weekends gig - if so I will leave it for a couple of minutes without touching anything and see if it comes right, or of I need to fiddle around with things to get it right

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. carbonfold

carbonfold

Sounds like a bad driver.

7. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Cold solder connection? Wouldn't be visible, and would be inconsistent. Also, have you tightened everything up? screws can back off over time too.

8. NZBassman

NZBassman

got to this weekends gig and speaker was fine.... had no problems at all, so it's totally weird.... I did use a different speaker lead, so maybe that was the problem?

9. Cirk

Cirk

Possibly, try resoldering the jacks on the offending cable. If that solves it, that was your bad solder joint. Glad you got it worked out for cheap.