speaker out into power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by riotorgun, Aug 26, 2010.

1. riotorgun

riotorgun

i want too use the amp from my combo as a pre amp into a more powerful power amp,i know i need too keep a load on the amp,would running the speaker out into a power amp be ok or disastrous?if anyone knows a way i can do this without anything going bang thatd be cool.
    cheers in advance.:help:

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

NEVER - NEVER run the speaker output to the input of another device.

Also, the only type of amp you need to have a load on is an all tube amp.

3. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Use the effects OUT to run your preamp output to a power amp.

4. Shmone

Shmone

I have no idea what combo you have but some of them have an effects loop, the send jack is essentially a preamp out jack.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. riotorgun

riotorgun

ah i suspected itd be terrible and go bang,just thought id check,my problem is solved as its not all tube.thanks for the quick simple advice,ill just run line out too poweramp.:bassist:

7. riotorgun

riotorgun

i has a line out and effects send return,i was just under the impression i needed the amp under load too use it.

8. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Like stated earlier, fust use the efx send...no load needed unless it's a tube power amp (not just a tube pre).

9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

WHAT??!! No, don't do that~ effects send will be fine.

10. jpTron

jpTron

If I wanted to use my Mesa 50 Caliber+, which is an all tube combo, to record direct with, but don't really want to rely on the eq controls for tone shaping, how would I go about that? Is there a way? Should I plug into the Return instead and then use the line out on the back of my amp?

11. rpsands

rpsands

Tube heads are different and often require a speaker load or else can cause meltiness. Check with the manufacturer support.

You could use the line out pre-eq if there is an option, sometimes there is a little switch on the back.

12. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

If you absolutely love the tone from your combo amp, and the combo has no Effect Send or Line Out, then you can use this device between your combo's amp and speaker, and then this box could send a safe signal to another power amp.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI100.aspx

This box retails for about $40 and is indeed capable of accepting amp levels up to 3000 watts and goes between your current combo's amp and speaker (so that it remains impedance-loaded if need be.)