1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dondabass, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Dondabass

Dondabass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I have a Rumble 15 that had a blown speaker, and for jollies, I thought that I would beef it up a little. I lined the cab with damping material and put a speaker that I had lying around in...I now it may not be optimal for this cab, but what do I have to lose by experimenting?
    The speaker: http://www.parts-express.com/grs-8pr-8-8-poly-cone-rubber-surround-woofer--292-428

Now I get some farting out noises, even at a lower volume level where there weren't any before. Could it be lose joints that need glue? Need a speaker break-in period? Any advice would be great!
    Thanks!

2. Sorry to hear that, but that's a stereo speaker and not a bass guitar woofer. How old is your Rumble 15? It should still be under Fender's 5 year warranty. Your mods would void the warranty, but can you remove the damping material and put the blown speaker back in? Fender will just send you a brand new Rumble 15. Contact Fender's Consumer Relations (480) 596-7195 .

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    So you cranked the amp to get enough volume, blew the speaker and then replaced it with something LESS sensitive? As you said - what could go wrong? It's a mystery.

5. you just learned your first lesson about why you can't just throw any speaker that "fits the hole" into a bass amp.

6. Dondabass

Dondabass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Massachusetts
    No no no....I knew what kind of speaker is is, I also did not blow out the original (it came that way for free), and it is a very old amp. I wasn't asking for any of that (please, no offense). This was an experiment, a learning experience on a cheap amp to learn more about how all the parts interact. Original questions still remain...