Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dondabass, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Dondabass

Dondabass Supporting Member

I have a Rumble 15 that had a blown speaker, and for jollies, I thought that I would beef it up a little. I lined the cab with damping material and put a speaker that I had lying around in...I now it may not be optimal for this cab, but what do I have to lose by experimenting?
    The speaker: http://www.parts-express.com/grs-8pr-8-8-poly-cone-rubber-surround-woofer--292-428

Now I get some farting out noises, even at a lower volume level where there weren't any before. Could it be lose joints that need glue? Need a speaker break-in period? Any advice would be great!
    Thanks!

2. Linnin

Linnin

Sorry to hear that, but that's a stereo speaker and not a bass guitar woofer. How old is your Rumble 15? It should still be under Fender's 5 year warranty. Your mods would void the warranty, but can you remove the damping material and put the blown speaker back in? Fender will just send you a brand new Rumble 15. Contact Fender's Consumer Relations (480) 596-7195 .

3. dincz

dincz

So you cranked the amp to get enough volume, blew the speaker and then replaced it with something LESS sensitive? As you said - what could go wrong? It's a mystery.

4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

you just learned your first lesson about why you can't just throw any speaker that "fits the hole" into a bass amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dondabass

Dondabass Supporting Member

No no no....I knew what kind of speaker is is, I also did not blow out the original (it came that way for free), and it is a very old amp. I wasn't asking for any of that (please, no offense). This was an experiment, a learning experience on a cheap amp to learn more about how all the parts interact. Original questions still remain...