Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by Bridgeman, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Bridgeman

Bridgeman

I have a custom cabinet which houses two15" Carvin speakers that need replacement. Any suggestion on brand and type?
  2. StraightSix

StraightSix

A couple of Eminence Kappalite 3015 would probably give a big improvement.
  3. sprocket123

sprocket123

4. musicon197

musicon197

I'm actually in the same boat as Bridgeman was here, specifically needing to replace two 600W Carvins in a homemade cab.

Any particular reason why you suggest the Kappalites, though they are on my short list, over legends or peavey black widows or any in the $90 - $190 price range?

And would you suggest 4ohm or 8ohm speakers? I did not install a crossover and have each speaker wired independently to its own jack. I know this removes the chance of adding another cabinet, but I don't require the use of 10" or other speakers.

Also, I play a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0 with two speakon jacks, each rated 375W at 4ohms and 600W at 8ohms. The cabinet I've been using is homemade with 2 Carvin 600W speakers, though I need to double check the ohms, I seem to remember them being 4ohms.

I haven't opened the cab yet, but last weekend my amp was provided as the bass backline amp for an all day festival with heat reaching upwards of 106 degrees. Im not certain at exactly what time, but one speaker cutoff completely, as if dead, and the other still played loudly. Upon testing it at the end of the day, I realized the working speaker plays at full volume, but emits a low buzz, almost like a hint of overdrive.

I plan to run some diagnostic checks in an attempt to more clearly define each speakers condition and hopefully figure out what possibly caused this to happen because I've used my head and cab for other all day events without issue. Regardless, I have been interested in getting new speakers for a while and this helps place it higher on the priority list.

Thank you for any information or advice anyone may be able to give. My knowledge is limited in this area of gear and learning more about it has been extremely helpful in better understanding my sound and hopefully what I'll be able to do with it to improve it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StraightSix

StraightSix

Musicon 197 - If you are running two seperately plugged 4 ohm drivers from your amp, the amp will be driving a 2ohm load which is dangerous both for the amnp and speakers.

I would recommend two 8ohm replacements for your cab.
  7. musicon197

musicon197

After a lot of reading last night, I'm beginning to understand this quite clearly. Thank you for clarifying this for me. I will open the cab today and check the ohms on the Carvin speakers.

If they are 4ohms apiece and I have foolishly been running a 2ohm load for so long, what sort of damage am I potentially looking at on the amp?

Is it possible the distortion from the one working speaker could actually be a blown tube in the preamp of the Genz Benz? It has a 12AX7.

And/or if I've damaged the amp, would that possibly mean the other non-functioning speaker isn't dead, but maybe I've damaged the jack or the speakon?

I know looking will be better, I'm just trying to cover bases.

Thank you again for any information and advice...
  8. StraightSix

StraightSix

I would try it with a different cab if you can - it may be that the amp has not sustained any damage but may have run hot at 2ohms.