1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Speaker SIM DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sprag, Dec 5, 2013.

1. sprag

sprag

Jamming with the band tonight at the drama's house. he has just set up a nice little recording suite, so we tracked our rehearsal

I love the sound coming out of my speakers but Its completey different to that coming out of the amps xlr line out (post preamp section) and through the monitors. I put a lot of this down to the fact that I use SWR SOB 15's with the tweeter crossovers turned down somewhat.

Is there a decent Di I could run post XLR out that could cut the highs in a similar fashion to my speakers thus sending a similar sound to the desk when recording or playing live?

I don't really have a budget in mind, the sky isn't the limit of course, but I'm in no rush and I can save

I assume a decent sound guy can get this done pretty quick but a lot of places we play the sound guy isn't always that decent

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

The Mooer Micro DI has a speaker sim, as does the Behringer ULTRA-G GI100. Both inexpensive.

Higher up the scale you might want to check out the Markbass super booster. This has the near legendary VPF control, that emulates vintage speakers to your taste.

3. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

A mic is really your best bet to send what you like from your cab to the house. Depending on what your tonal goals are, there are a number of DI's that will send a decent signal with speaker simulation or are at least capable of high end roll off better than what directly from your head is doing. Tone Hammer (AGS circuit acts as a speaker emulation of sorts) and VTBass DI are two that come to mind right away.

I own the Palmer PDI-09 as mentioned above. I did some clips on it here where I compared the tones of my 15" Orange cab mic'ed vs. the various settings on the Palmer:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f43/palmer-pdi-09-vs-heil-pr40-audio-1007171/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Take a look at the Zoom B3. It has xlr out and a buttload of amp and cab sims. Plus you get a bunch decent effects to try. They cost about 200 bucks here not sure how that converts to Australian money.

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

What kind of amp are you using and is the amp sound itself vital to your stage sound?
    If so, you probably want a speaker-level DI box- this is a DI that goes in between the amp and the speaker and is able to attenuate the signal to the microphone level that the PA is looking for. The Palmer DI mentioned can handle speaker-level signals and has some alright speaker emulation, though they only suggest it for use at a couple hundred watts (I know people have used them successfully with SVTs though). There are also a couple Radial DIs that have speaker emulation and at least one of them can handle speaker signals IIRC.

If your amp itself is basically there to make the sound of your bass louder, then you might be better off with many of the bass preamp/DI boxes listed here that have built-in tone shaping and sometimes speaker emulation. Then you can send the sound guy a signal specifically sculpted for him rather than an amp signal EQ'ed for a speaker. Another possibility in this situation is to use something like the Palmer DI before your amp and after some sort of preamp pedal since it can work at line level as well.

You don't want to put another DI post XLR as you suggested because the XLR on your amp is a DI. The DI on your amp already converts the preamp line level signal into a microphone level, so if you were to send it through another DI the signal might be attenuated even more unless you used an active DI. If you want a post-preamp signal from your amp to sculpt with speaker emulation and don't want to use a speaker level DI, then you'll want to use either a Line Out or FX Loop Send output from your amp. Just make sure the DI you use is configured to accept a Line Level signal.

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Is your amp DI pre-EQ or post-EQ? If it's pre-EQ like quite a lot of amps out there, you're not getting any of your amp's flavor through the XLR, anyway.

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

I seem to remember the Korg Ampworks being pretty cool. Super easy to use, but maybe not so easy to find any more. Worth a shot if you could find one for cheap though.

10. sprag

sprag

Thanks for all the responses guys I'll check these out

Ok to answer some questions and clarify what I'm after

1 US dollar buys about 1.10 to 1.15 ozzie dollars at the moment so not really much to worry about

I'm using an SWR chrome face 350. xlr out in line position (sends line level signal and runs through preamp gain and eq section. everything but the master volume according to the instructions)

I'm not looking for something that is marketed as a speaker sim. I am trying to emulate the tweeter crossover roll off which is set at 5 kHz in my Son of bertha 15's

In a nut shell it needs a line level input a line level output (preferably xlr) mains or wall wart powered and a 5 kHz and above roll off with a fairly clean sound. anything more than that is a bonus oh and if it fits in the back of my rack that would be handy also.