1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Speaker sims...again

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JimmyM, Dec 28, 2013.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Been thinking a lot about what I would like in a cab sim over the past year or so. What I dislike about them is when they run to your rig that doesn't have a tweeter and the high end from your bass gets muffled. Through a DI line, they're great. But in my rig, it causes a chain reaction of muffling that affects how distortion pedals sound through my rig. Clearly they are more edgy sounding without the highs rolloff of a cab sim.

Ideally I'd like to run one after my DI, but as far as I can see, they're all designed to take only 1/4" inputs, and none are designed to take XLR inputs. I could use those little transformers to adapt them, but not a big fan of doing that.

So here's what I would want in a cab sim:

1. Defeat-able true simulation of an 810e's high and low end, not just a brick wall high pass/low pass filter. Additionally, you could add a guitar cab sim to get the guitarists to buy it as long as it had the 810e sim. And I suppose for all the gigandus low end fans, you can make one setting skip the lows rolloff of the 810e.

B. Ability to take XLR input so you can run it after your DI and not affect your rig's signal.

III. Doesn't cost a lot.

If I'm missing something that does this already, please let me know, as I've yet to see it. But while I can't claim to be able to predict market trends, I think it would really sell. So someone build it, send me a free one, and I'll plug the dogcrap out of it on the net ;)
  2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

Palmer hits the mark on B, but not 1 or iii. Definitely not on iii. :)
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Damn Palmer catering to guitarists!
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Oh come on! I can't be the only one who wants this!
  5. dune2k

dune2k

You aren't...
    Bought a VT Bass DI for that purpose (and for use at home), although it also emulates an amp AND I actually play a GK 400RB-IV with heavy use of the boost feature.
    Still better than w/o any kind of speaker sim.
  6. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Get an electronic crossover, it will do the job of filtering the top and bottom variably to suit, and patch a 31 band EQ to bump frequencies to match the cab or speaker spikes and dips. I use a dbx 3 way electronic crossover and either a five band parametric EQ or a 31 band graphic in the studio, and yes you can leave out the EQ stage, the crossover will work fine.

My gig rig has a Klark Teknik EQ with high and lo pass so I can simulate Speaker cabs if I need to e.g. To get a 60's sound.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Good idea, but I was hoping for something smaller than a 31 band ;)
  8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

9. Timi

Timi

10. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

I want EXACTLY what you're asking for. I've been thinking about designing one myself. My only issue is I don't have a real 810 to compare against.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    But I want an XLR input. None of them have it.
  12. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I'm curious about what you would use that for. If you are running it as a DI, that makes sense, but are you suggesting that you would also run it to a cabinet? Why would you want to simulate a cabinet then run the simulation into another cabinet? I'm not being the usual wise-ass, but I'm really curious about what this does and why.
  13. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

Why not run it off the line out (or speaker out), in addition to your DI tone?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I also want what you're after.
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If I understand, your market is Reddi owners, get them to build it. Anyone else uses sansamp DI and sends parallel to amp monitor.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Oh, yeah, another plug for $100 Akgp2 mic, send the cab tone to FOH, done.
  16. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

This is one of the reasons I won't let go of my old Line 6 BassPod Pro XT Live. The OD/fuzz sounds are good, the other effects are OK, but the Amp/Cab sim are by far where it shines. I know they're not for everyone but this is how I solved the problem.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I want it only in the DI feed, not to the cab.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Peter's too busy making awesome new preamps and compressors. But I'll tell you...if he did add a cab sim to the DI feed of the REDDI, I'd sell mine and buy a new one tomorrow.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Because the DI tone will still be full range. Plus I can't always get two lines.
  20. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member