1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Speaker smells funny with fuzz.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nev375, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    So I have a hartke hydrive 112. Im powering it with an ampeg pb800 ss amp with the cab on the 8 ohm setting. Im playing classic rock with a sometimes heavy handed drummer so I know im probably pushing the cab a bit but ive never heard any farting or distortion from it.

But when I kick on the fuzz I soon start to smell that familiar burning electronics (magic smoke) kind of smell after a few minutes. So something somewhere is definitely getting hot. I believe its the speaker itself. Ive noticed it running an octaver too. Ive since removed it from my chain.

Is anyone familiar with this phenomenon? I don't want to blow my rig.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Yes it's called overpowering a cabinet. If you need volume, a single 12 and a big amp is not the way to get it! Add effects and you'll soon be shopping for a new speaker system.

3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    You're cooking the voicecoil (speaker). It may already be deformed even though it hasn't stopped working totally. Too much power/not enough speaker. I'd at least use 212's in a situation you describe and you'll still be pushing those pretty good, though they'll handle it, you'll kill a single.

Good move losing the octaver, that's just putting even more strain on it.

4. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Should I use the 4 ohm setting on the cab?

I understand the speaker has dual voice coils. But im not sure if they are series or parallel when you flip the switch to get 4ohms.

I know theres not a big difference in volume either way, I just wonder which is safer for power handling?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. carbonfold

carbonfold

if it smells like bandaids.. back off on the LF and master.

Even my guitarist has this problem. And the famous, "...but the cabinet is rated higher than the head!". I usually tell him the same thing and add if you don't, you will be out a driver when it finally fails (if it hasn't already).

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No. You should get a louder cab. Regardless of specs, or impedance, or anything else, that cab probably reaches its limits around 200 watts.

You need a more capable cab. Period.

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Switching it to 4ohms would just make it worse. You just need another cab to help split up the power and play loud enough without burning up.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    If it smells like it is burning, you have already toasted it. It's days are numbered. Sorry. :eek: :crying: :scowl:

10. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Guess ill toss it in the dumpster then. So much for lightweight cabs for old farts. Oh well
    Back to my ancient 410xl.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Lightweight is all very well but if that lightweight equates to less than you need you have a problem.

Edit: Same thing applies to cabinets that are not lightweight.

Don't toss the thing, you don't even know if permanent damage has been done yet. Get a second identical cabinet and see how things go.

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    This ^

If your speaker still plays, it's still working. Get a second HyDrive 12. That'll get you where you need to go, and be way easier on the old back than hauling around a 100lb. 410 cube. Sell the 410 if you need to and get one more 12.

Single 12's are for coffeeshops, churches, etc. When playing rock and/or roll in a bar, 2 of them is the way to go.

13. NWB

NWB

Two of those work quite well with a band. Asking one to put out that much volume is not going to happen without damaging it.

You don't need a 4x10, but you do need more than one 112.

14. carbonfold

carbonfold

Plus you were majorly overpowering that single 12. That cabinet is rated 300w @ 8ohms and that head is 500w @ 8ohms. So no need to hate on the "light weight" thing lol. Just don't over power it

15. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    Another 112 or get a 2X12 with neodiums. Don't give on the lightweight/modular thing.:bassist:

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

This has nothing to do with the weight of anything.

The speaker area of a 4x10 is about 3-and-change more than a single 12 inch speaker. Yet you're expecting them to produce the same amount of sound. It doesn't work that way.

17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If the fuzz is a muff, they have a massive mid scoop that means they seem loads less loud but you are pushing loads more power.

18. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Actually the head puts out 300w @8. You must be looking at the wrong head. Plus im not cranking the master past 7 or 8ish tops. Plus I tend to play with the bass rolled off or flat. I know wattage ratings are more theoetical not exact, but I figured given my settings I would be pushing the cab right to its spec without overpowering.

So far the cab still sounds great. I was being snarky about tossing it in the dumpster cause everyone was saying. Nope its too late the voice coil is already done for.

As far as expecting it to be a 410... not really. I use it for our practice sessions and live monitor. I keep the 410 around though if I need to carry the volume at a gig.

I guess I did not realize how far just a fuzz unit (fender sublime) would push the amp. The octaver did not surprise me at all, I yanked it at the first whiff.

I think what im really going to do is get rid of the effects altogether. I tried using them as a kid and abandoned them cause of cable mess, batteries and just being a pita. For years I was happy without them and im starting to think that was the wisest decision.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The position of the volume dials has no bearing on the overall equation- wattage. Many amps are "full on" with dials close to noon.