Speakon cable or 1/4 inch

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bobhollywood, Apr 12, 2014.

1. bobhollywood

bobhollywood

Hey guys, iam currently running an f1 mark bass head (500w solid state) with an 8x10 ampeg cab.
    I also run a sansamp out of the head and into a boss tuner➡️bass input and using speakon cable from head to cab.
    The other night it just cut out towards the end of the set but i was di'd into my sands amp so signal was still coming out of pa.
    My question is, should i b running a speakon cable or 1/4 inch speaker cable from my head to cab?
    I know it gives u the option on both my head and cab but have heard in the past speakon are best for somewhat bigger set ups.

Is there and what is the difference?
    Thankyou in advance.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Use Speakon for the head to cab connection. It's better in every regard compared to a 1/4 inch connector for speaker level signals, and there's no risk of confusing it for an instrument cable or vice versa.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

I guarantee that you aren't running a sansamp out of the head and into a tuner and then into a bass input.

4. bobhollywood

bobhollywood

Am def running a sans out of the head etc etc.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You should always use Seakon when you have to option. It's just safer, especially for high power applications.

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think you may just have the direction wrong when describing this; the jack on the bass is an output, not an input, so you're going out of the bass into the tuner, and then from the tuner into the Sansamp and finally into the amp.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

OP please use correct spelling when posting - I believe it part of the rules. For those of us who do not use texting it make a post almost gibberish.

I think that the above post is correct as the wiring scheme you posted would not work at all.

9. bobhollywood

bobhollywood

Bassmanpaul, correct grammar also helps.
    For those of us who don't use plurals on certain words, may take it as another language. :)

10. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

I've always heard the rule of thumb was, anything over 300w - you *need* a speakon. But as mentioned, if you have the option, I'd always go with speakon over 1/4", no matter the wattage.

11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Supposedly the current flow for something over 500w is best handled with speakon jacks. I don't know if I'd take that to the bank, but the connection is more secure on a speakon, I'd say that alone is a good reason to use them. Also, it's pretty hard to mix it up with an instrument cable, like FretNoMore said.

12. BassmanPaul

Phooie - That's what you get from typing whilst the lady of the house is watching a Dog Whisperer episode! :(

The point still remains that this is an English language forum and not a text message!

13. BassmanPaul

It's much better to use the four pole version of the Speakon. It's much easier to use and is almost the standard on commercial amplification equipment. I've yet to hear about a 2 pole used so.

14. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I had a few issues with 1/4" cables back in the day. I even had the jack that was so worn out just about everytime i played the b string hard the cable would come out. Switched to using speakons and no more issues. I haven't had a single issue. In fact i still have and use the same cables i originally bought. They've never shorted out or anything. I leave the amp end always connected to the amp and just tuck in the back of my rack. The one thing i would be cautious about with speakons is remember to unplug the cab before walking off with the head. I've seen several times where people tipped a cab over or damaged the jack on the amp because they forgot to unhook the cable before they moved it. Dont get a super long cable. Mine are like 3' and 6' long. You don't need at 25' pa speakon because we bass players generally keep the head ontop of the cab or right next to it.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I greatly prefer the 2 pole cable Speakon. Cheaper, lighter, easier to disengage blind, and still works fine with a 4-pole panel one at the amp or speaker ends.

16. BassmanPaul

I find that interesting Charlie as I find just the opposite!! :D

To each his/her own I guess.

17. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    We had a vote at the club I ran sound at Paul: 3-0 for 2-pole. The 4-pole ones are a little easier to wire up though, especially until you've done a few of the 2-pole ones and sussed the trick.

18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I use 2-pole for the cable. All amps and cabs get 4-pole installed on them for compatibility reasons.

I build my speakon cables. Neutrik connectors. For the cable I use, two conductor rubber jacketed power cord wire that I buy from Home Depot by the yard. The cable is Carol (General Cable) 18/2. For four conductor cable I use Belden 8454.

19. bobhollywood

bobhollywood

20. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Just to revisit that thought, Neutrik has created the 2 pole FX series cable connector configuration fairly recently to mimic the 4 pole one:

[​IMG]

I just got a few in and they're definitely a lot easier to assemble than the old style ones, and the strain relief is considerably beefier as well.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  21. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

4 pole work much better for biamped connections ;)