Speakon on to 1/4 inch?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nitsuj, Apr 12, 2014.

1. nitsuj

nitsuj

Please excuse the ignorance, but I'm hoping to use a GK MB200 with 2 Ampeg 210AVs. GK has only a Speakon out; the Pegs have only 1/4 in. in. How to remedy? Are there specific products to look for or avoid?
    Thanks.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

No problems at all. I have a few speakon to 1/4 cables. I think they are Monsters, but I could be wrong.
  4. nitsuj

nitsuj

Cool. Thanks for the info.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Any decent speaker cable will be fine. You can take an existing 1/4 > 1/4 cable, snip off one end, and install your own Speakon (~$5). The remaining parallel connection between the (2) enclosures will be restricted to a conventional 1/4 > 1/4 speaker cable unless you upgrade to Speakons inputs on the cabs...which I wouldn't at this point. Do make sure all inter-component connections are secure and free of trip hazards (duh!).

Riis
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As Jeff said,

[​IMG]
  8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Key safety point: get some heat-shrink tube big enough to fit over the end of the 1/4" plug if it is metal. On "all" bridged amps and many Class-D amps, the sleeve, and the backshell if it is metal, are -not- at ground potential. If it should contact something that is grounded like, for instance -you- when it is powered, Bad Things can occur.

The shell should be insulated... And never plug or unplug speakers with the amp powered.

I apologize if this sounds pedantic. I for one was not aware that the shell is not at ground and was quite surprised to learn it. I still have to find some big heatshrink to do this myself, even tho that particular cable just takes up space in my spares box just now...
  9. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1 on the 1/4" to Speakon adapter.

Buy a quality 1/4" speaker cable and 2 of the adapters and you will never worry about not having the right connector again. I think they are $7 or so each.

Also, I found a very high quality new 3" Planet Waves 1/4" to Speakon cable on eBay a few years back for $17.
  10. kevinsbass

kevinsbass

Unless GK has changed the MB200, the speaker out is a combo jack: a speakon with a 1/4 inch jack in the middle. That's how mine is and I use a 1/4 inch speaker cable.
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Newer units don't have the combo jack. The combo jack had to be dropped to meet newer world wide certification requirements.
  12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Mine wasn't a combo jack. The older ones were Speakon only.
  13. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Other way around. Older were combo jacks, newer are speakon only. :)
  14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Messing with us just like they are with washing machines (HE, less water, crap detergent, etc.)! :scowl:
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If the amplifier is running in bridge mode using a 1/4" phone cable is dangerous for the amp and player both. If your cabinets only have phone sockets think about adding speakons asap. In bridge the tip is hot with respect to ground. So is the barrel. Between tip and barrel, sleeve, there's twice that voltage!!!

Edit: I fully agree with ArtechnikA's post.