speakon to 3 x 1/4 speaker inputs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Slaine01, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Slaine01

Slaine01

Looking to connect 1 speakon to be able run 3 x 1/4 inch speaker cables.
    The three cabs only have one 1/4 inch input (no outs) and I dont want the cabs replaced with in & out Speakons for linking.
    Is there a "dropbox?" setup so I can run a speakon out of his amp to feed the 3 x 8 ohm cabs ? (his amp will go to 2 ohms).

2. Tuned

Tuned

I would make a box with four connectors in parallel. If the amp's in a rack you could install a backplate with three outputs hardwired to a speakon plug, but I wouldn't have such a splitter be loose to dangle.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

A simple plastic box outfitted with two NL4 speakon jacks on one side and three or four 1/4" phone jacks on the other is a simple, inexpensive unit to make. Wire the +1 terminals together and wire them to the tip connection of the jacks. Wire the -1 terminals together and wire them to the sleeve connections of the jacks. Done - put the lid on and you're away to the races.

Edit: Naturally you'll use insulated 16SWG wire for the wiring. :)

4. Slaine01

Slaine01

sweeeet - thx guys

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I built one like this, all connectors are wired in parallel, the jacks are isolated from the metal box. With a plastic box you don't need to isolate. You can mix any combination.

[​IMG]

7. oerk

oerk

Why isolated? The ground wires are all the same, or am I missing something?

8. beans-on-toast

Isolate for safety and noise reasons. If the ground comes into contact with anything that it shouldn't such as another ground or a hot AC, it could cause a problem that could trip a breaker. Chances of that are slim but that's why one takes precautions. Sometimes grounds from another device may not be at the same potential. If they came in contact there could be noise problems.

9. oerk

oerk

Ah. That's reasonable. Thanks.

Shielding shouldn't be an issue with speaker level signals (aka I r dumb).

10. beans-on-toast

I find having something like this useful as it allows you to plug a head into different cabinets or combinations. Good if there's a problem with your cab and you need plug into something else on short notice.