1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SPEAKONS ON BASSES?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NOZMEDA, Nov 23, 2012.

SPEAKONs ON BASSES?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2013.
  1. Yes

8.4%
  2. No

58.9%
  3. Maybe

15.8%
  4. 1/4" 4 lyfe dawg

16.8%
  1. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Would you swap your 1/4" on your bass for a speakon? There seems to be jacks small enough to fit in some basses. No more stepping on and unplugging(if you dont already run your cable through your strap loop) and no more rattle/bumping crackle that some people get. Its theoretical but possible and sounds cool.

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    They already make locking 1/4" output jacks. No need to put a 3/4" hole in your bass. It's an $8 part and two minutes with a soldering iron.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Neutrik makes locking ¼-inch jacks. They're a lot less obtrusive than Speakons.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Wow. Eyes open now. Haha. If you stick that into your bass do you need new plugs for your instrument cable?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

No, just plug in with a normal jack. The locking is all in the socket (the red button is the release).

7. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Awesome. Thanks

8. line6man

line6man

There are two things to say about this. First off, that's a safety feature. It is better that the cable should pull out of the jack than the jack pull out of the bass, stripping holes and potentially splitting wood. In any case, people usually loop their cables around the straplock to prevent damage, whether the jack is locking or not. Second, Speakon is a rather absurd choice for several reasons. What you want is the aforementioned locking 1/4" jack, not some other type of connector. A major issue with Speakon, XLR, DIN5, etc., -aside from being nonstandard, and thus, requiring specialized cables to be available and functional any time you play the bass- is that the connector does not rotate freely. This tends to lead to twisted cables. 1/4" connectors are definitely the preference, but failing that, perhaps a BNC connector or something would be the best choice.

9. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Hm. Good point. Speakon=bad

10. GM60466

GM60466

why reinvent the wheel??

11. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Speakon connectors are used for speaker level applications and are not shielded for use as an instrument connector. I have used Neutrik locking 1/4" jacks and IMO that is the best instrument connector available.

The poster who mentioned that Speakons can't rotate freely also had a good point, to prevent tangling 1/4" jacks and plugs are the standard on guitars for these reasons.

Speakons "claim to fame" is that they have much higher current capability (not necessary for instrument level connections) and that they are insulated when disconnected to prevent shock hazard and to protect amplifier output stages (also unnecessary for signal level due to guitars very low voltage and current levels *even with active electronics).

12. SoVeryTired

To create something that's even more round. One day I'll find the secret, then you'll all be sorry.

13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

you forgot the sinister laugh

14. SoVeryTired

I'm saving it.

15. line6man

line6man

There's that, too. That is an issue if you're trying to keep your signal path within a complete Faraday cage from start to finish, but in practice, it is difficult to do that to begin with, considering that pickups are usually unshielded. I wouldn't think the small opening in the cage would make a huge difference, though.

Extend it into three dimensions as a sphere. The secret is the implicit function x[SUP]2[/SUP]+y[SUP]2[/SUP]+z[SUP]2[/SUP]=1.

16. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi

Pic please.

Regards
    Sam

17. line6man

line6man

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

It's in post #3

19. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

? That's a Speakon.
    My desire was for a pic of a locking 1/4" jack with smaller installation OD than 3/4". The one lowfreq33 talked about.

Nope, it isn't.
    That's the regular 3/4" D-flange panel mounting locking jack I've been using because I haven't found anything smaller=tidier=easier to install.

It IS the best jack I've found so far, but on thin, heavily rounded edge bodies, it's really distractive looking. Not to mention the task of drilling that 3/4" hole on the side of the body.
    IMHO anyway.

Regards
    Sam

20. Mykk

Mykk

If something had to give, I'd rather the cord unplug from the jack than rip the jack out of the bass.

21. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Oh gotcha....my mistake!