1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Special Edition Fender Deluxe PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Jan 29, 2014.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Wanting to get a P-Bass I can live with (I am a Jazz guy who only likes Jazz necks), I came across this Special Edition Fender Deluxe PJ Bass (MIM).

This is the model only made for Guitar Center. It sports a Jazz neck :hyper: that looks just like the neck on my '72 Jazz....way cool!

It also sports a Badass bridge and a Fender Noiseless Jazz pickup near the bridge. Now I did buy this for that P-Bass tone, and with that Jazz PU off, it nails it. Adding the Jazz PU in is like a bonus, handy if I plan to do some slapping and soloing.

The bass is fairly light, I say no more then 9 lbs. But like allot of Fenders, it needed some serious TLC out of the box!

The action was horribly high and there was a bad fret buzz on the upper frets even with the high action. BUT....I know I can solve all that!

First, put in a shim to angle the neck up a bit (boy I must say the neck pocket was super tight). That cured the fret buzz. Than did some tweaking of the truss rod. And the result....still crap! :D Only kidding!

It plays great now! Got the action pretty low and no fret buzzes. Than tore off the crappy strings that came on it and put on a fresh set of DR Low Rider Round Wounds (I know all you die hard P-Bass guys are going to say put on flats...but I prefer the sound of rounds) and it is sounding pretty darn good.

I am sure I'll have to tweak the neck again as it settles in. But I think it will be a keeper for a while. The only thing is, that white pickguard I think will have to go! But other than that it is a cool looking bass....Seafoam Green!

[​IMG]
  2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I've been wondering about those. Is it a single coil or 'bucker in the bridge position?

Congrats on a cool looking bass!
  3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I played the active version a few times and loved it. Congrats on the awesome new bas, that is by far my favorite currently offered fender color.
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

Damn dude that metallic sea foam is AMAZING! Nice score.

What color pickguard would you put on there instead? I wouldn't go anything more hectic than mint green or maybe pearloid white.
  5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I think single ply gloss black pg would look great on this
  6. ClassicJazz

It is a Fender Noiseless PU. I am not sure if they are considered single coil or not.
  7. ClassicJazz

Thanks!

I am thinking a tort would look nice, that classic look. Looks good on my '72 Jazz!

[​IMG]
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I have tort on my '72 jazz as well and I agree that there it looks great. On your P/J, I wouldn't.
  9. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all. Supporting Member

Awesome looking bass!!

I am SO GASing for a P/J...
  10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Gorgeous bass congrats love that color and neck. I had one question do the necks need that much tweaking or do you like super low action? I always feel like I'm missing something when people talk about neck shimming.
  11. ClassicJazz

A little of both! The spec Fender uses to set up action is typically higher than I like. I do prefer low action.

In the case of this bass, who knows how long it was sitting around and in what conditions. That probably is why the neck was so out.

Also another common problem I've seen with Fenders is the neck swells a bit at the heel section. Again something to do how they were stored before being sold. I think high humidity may do that. So you end up with fret buzzing on the upper frets since the frets are no longer level. That is why so many people trash Fenders when they try them out. They have no idea how or how long the bass was in some warehouse. So sometimes you need to see past those issues. Most people would have probably returned the bass I received.

Anyway, the neck shim helps overcome the uneven frets. In my case I placed the shim (a piece of a thick business card) so the neck tilts up. No more fret buzz!

I am sure I will have to tweak it again as the neck settles in and it gets use to the environment it is now in.
  12. ClassicJazz

Well got to use it the other night :hyper:

After the tweaks I did to the neck, it is playing soooo good! And love the tone. Punchy! Funky! P-Ducky! Here is it live in action.....

GETTING FUNKY
  13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

This is why I love P/J's…they purr, they growl and they roar! Tasty licks in that solo, C.J.!
  14. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Nice bass.....nice tone.....nice playing
  15. ClassicJazz

Well got the new Pearl White pick guard on and it looks so much better then the stock plain white one. Check it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Bootyful! Perfect choice!