1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Specs of Fender Modern Player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quarternote, Nov 27, 2012.

1. quarternote

quarternote

I saw what I think is a Fender Modern Player Telecaster in a used music store locally. A "reissue" of a 70's era Telecaster, two humbuckers. This one looks brand new, no marks on it at all, I was all ready to buy it, price was $420, quite a bit lower than new Modern Players I have seen. But, when I turned it over, you could see a lot of finish on the neck, looked like 1/32" or so, heavy. And on the neck plate was a sticker saying Made in China. Where are the Modern Players made? Some how a Chinese Fender is disappointing. It is still there in the store. Gees.
  2. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Modern players are made in China and usually sit in the $250-$550 range. If you want a Tele with humbuckers and don't want MIC, get the Blacktop line which is MIM and priced similarly. But The Modern Player series has some nice stuff in it, don't get scared off by the MIC. Play it, and if you like it, buy it.
  3. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

I think they are $549 new usually. The Fender version. I played one. Big thick neck. Tone was okay.

Chinese Fenders are actually awesome. Better than MIM usually.
  4. rockscott

rockscott

I own a made in china mp jaguar, the quality is outstanding! For that matter, i own a made in china pro 4 thunderbird, also outstanding quality! dont pre judge a guitar because its built in asia. The days of everything coming out of china, being junk are long gone! Ask anyone who owns the above named basses, they will tell you the same thing!
  5. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I own that bass and gig it several times a week. I love it!
  6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

I have one. Sounds and plays very well. Pretty dark but it is a neck 'bucker bass so that's what you get.

Try one through a rig that can handle lots of lows, then cut the tone in half, and put the neck pup on full, bridge off. :bassist:
  7. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

I tried one Chinese fender with humbuker jazz bass and it was real bad and real cheap, the squier was better in every way.
  8. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I play mine through a Fender Bassman 100T and a 410 neo cabinet. I have the neck mudbucker on full and the bridge one on about half with the tone knob at 2/3 for most of it.

I run it on the vintage channel of my Bassman head with the Treble on 3 (pulled out for the bright boost to be engaged), the mids on 7 and the bass on 2.

It sounds very full and gives a great thump. I'm very happy with it. The set up on it is perfect, the action is low, no fret buzz anywhere on the neck and it just feels right.

You can get a good bass cheap - or maybe I should say a good cheap bass!

And I've got American ones, Mexican ones, Japanese ones and Chinese ones - some are very expensive and some are cheap. If they play good, I keep them, if they don't, I get rid of them.

The point is, if you like the way it looks and feels, see if you like the way it sounds. If all that's good, buy it and if it's cheap, then you've got yourself a great deal!!

We do ourselves a great disservice by discounting things because of where they were made!
  9. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I'm considering getting one of these, I'm pretty much convinced by a YT video I saw from KentonUK, I really liked the tone.
    Being made in China is not a huge deal to me except in the sense that since Squier Classic Vibes are also made in China (possibly the same factory), and those consistently get rave reviews. As soon a I can get the cash together, I'm gonna snap one up.
  10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I have one and love it.
    It will never be my main player just due to the type of tones it puts out but when you need a HUGE bottom end (think club or dub or regge) I haven't found anything better.
    I typically run the neck pickup on full, the tone on about half and then dial in the bridge pickup just enough to give definition to the note. With the neck pu on full and the bridge pu off and the tone rolled all the way to bass this thing is a grunt monster!
    I'm currently using an SVT and Berg 610 set up but I'd imagine if it were played on neck pu only thru a set of Berg 215s you'd probably blow the walls out of the dance hall.

I bought mine new at GC, IIRC it was marked down to $550 and I had a 15% off coupon to boot. So I got it out the door for under $500 with a case and have had no buyers remorse.

If you can find one even cheaper - go for it, but remember it's not your typical Fender P bass type tele it's fundamentally a deep talkin mudbucker with a bridge pu thrown in for clarity. It does say Fender on the headstock so that helps eliminate the stigma that goes with the "Squier" logo even though it's made in China. I've not had any quality issues with mine, nor have I had any quality issues with my Squier basses. I think I've actually had more quality issues with my MIM and MIA basses and guitars but that's another story.
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320

Squier Vintage Modified '70s Tele Precision is cheaper and better
    It sports same neck WideRange pickup with no unuseful bridge disalligned polepiece WideRange
    It's a basswood bodied bass, that is surely no alder, but it's even cheaper and with a satin finished neck instead of higloss.

On mine I installed a DiMarzio ModelP in split position and wired
    them volume/volume with no tone whatsoever and a Hipshot BT7 bass extender (I'm a Sheehan aficionado after all:hyper:)
    Furthermore, it's a veritable Tele bass with dual brass barrell saddle stringthru body bridge
    and it's very powerful with no failing pickups like on Modern Player tele and on Alden TV Cruiser (where Gibson mudbucker is coupled by a bridge minihumbucker, completely disalligned)

Try out your Modern Player telebass, you'll be aware that your bridge pickup works as nothing more than a thumbrest...
    But tellin' Fender on the headstock, you'll gonna pay for it anyway...

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: a Squier Classic Vibe '50s Precision bass (if in lake placid blue, so basswood and not pine, as in butterscotch blonde) is far better soundin' than it as well, especially with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Single
  12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Wallace,
    You bring up some great points about the bridge pickup. Off the rack it's not all it can be, this bass does need a good set up to come to life. Where as the Squier CV bass is great as is. Here's a link to the review I did of the Modern Player tele last June and how to address the set up issue. Bottom line, mines a keeper but will never be my main bass. I could actually see this and the Squier CV sitting along side each other as very complementary basses. The Modern Player bass will reach lows the CV can only dream of and the CV will fit in a number of mixes that just aren't right for the Modern Player. I would not recommend getting the Modern Player as an only bass anymore that I would a CV. I'd save that "if I could only ever have one bass" recommendation for a traditional P bass with a split coil. Good news is I'm fortunate enough to have more than one bass.:)
    Here's a link to my reveiw earlier in the year...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-honeymoon-over-893413/
  13. Wallace320

Wallace320

and the wonderful cantina;)

Look at time of replies, just a three minutes gap between mine and yours
    I'm not that fast... I was already replyin', unaware of your postin'
    Infact I could swear it wasn't vs your opinion, but a general unpleasant sensation the Modern Player Tele causes me since its inception...
    It was offered me, and a very differently tastin' raised up bassist friend of mine, for comparison try outs later last year, when they first emerged, right after MIM BlackTop series.

And I own two Squier Tele Casters, that's why they thought about me.

Anyway I'm lucky enough to share experiences like this with such players like you and the boys on TB

Cheers,
    Wallace
  14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Wallace,
    LOL I didn't notice the posting times of our messages, too funny. I may need to sell that flower bass in the near future (downsizing the studio).

Anyway, why are we talking basses when we could be talking fine Italian Wine, Cars, Dining or Scenery. Your Milan location reminds me I need to restock my wine cellar. I like your selection of basses, any great tips on fine Italian wine? Maybe something that will go well with lamb, duck or goose.

Until I hear back, Ciao