1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SPECTOR® Club - Part 51

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Continued from http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/spector%AE-club-part-50-a-938050

Please read:
    There was some ugliness in the previous club thread. If anyone has concerns about another member's conduct, please notify me or another moderator through private message or use the "report post" button.

PLEASE remember that respect is rule #1 on TalkBass.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about from the previous thread, that's okay too. :)

Thanks guys. Onward...
    M
  2. JPSBassist

JPSBassist

In!

NS-2-The Black Pearl
    NS-2JJ-The Blue Dream
    NS-4 Water Cured Redwood
    B.O.B-4-#19
    ARC6-RW-#46

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Zitch

Zitch Registered Brand of Cool Supporting Member

present and NS2A for sale in the classifieds!

Attached Files:

4. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Gold Supporting Member

5. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Spector Strings
    In early for a change with my NS-2.. Just kidding. It's just a humble Forte-4 with the Spector USA 9V circuit. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Gold Supporting Member

I'm happier with my USA'd Euro LXs. With all USA spec electronics, they get 95% of the USA tone but without the weight, and as Patrick has mentioned, the Euro necks are closer to the Kramer-era skinnier necks than other Spectors, so I love them. Best of both worlds for me. Although when I see Supes' NS-4, and Chris and Patrick's NS-2s in that black and blue gloss, I start weakening very suddenly .

This was from the last thread which I was replying to when suddenly we went on to thread #51. Lol

Yes Steve, you might be getting 95% of the tone of the USA Spectors but, for me it's also about the "Hand build" quality. Which IMHO, after 3 new USA Spectors, I can dare say USA Spectors are at least 25%+ better quality built. The balance, the feel, the looks, the tone everyone is trying so hard to mimic, just the attention to details, the finish work, need I say anymore? :smug:
  7. smadder

smadder Supporting Member

In with my two babies:

[​IMG]

"faux NS-5" - Euro LX 5 in matte black with EMG DCs, a USA 18v Spector preamp and a kill switch.

"One of a kind white Ian Hill - the "Chris Loe" - This currently has an EMG BQC in it, but I am waiting on a US 9v Spector preamp to get here. Once that's in, I'll be as close to an NS-2 as I can afford to get. Plus, they only made one of these white Ian Hills - Jeff Costa custom ordered it through Todd, but soon after, they officially stopped making Ian Hill signature basses in nothing but gloss black. So this is a one of a kind piece, plus it's what Chris got from all of us that he then decided to parlay into his absolute dream bass which is his recent black and blue NS-2.

Sorry the pics are so horrible but I only have my camera on me. But these (especially the white) have been my dream basses for a while. All I need is one US 9v pre amp and I will be complete.
  8. smadder

smadder Supporting Member

And I completely agree with you. The US ones have that extra level of detail and better woods. And the fit and finish on them is immaculate. The Euros aren't near that perfect, but I'm talking about the tone, and I feel like the Euro LX models with their USA siblings' USA electronics suites get very, very close to the USA tone.

But yes: fit and finish and other details definitely add up to make the USA Spectors the cream of the crop.

But for those who can't afford them, you can get awfully close and I think that's awesome. Plus, from what Patrick has shared about the Czech factory, these basses are all hand-built as well, there's just a bigger factory with more people in it working on the basses. So the luthier to bass ratio is much lower for US basses than the Czechs, but that's one of the reasons why they cost so much less.

I guess I just wanted to state my bottom line which is that you can get close to the USA tone if you can't afford to buy a USA model. Does that make sense?.

9. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

10. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cadillac Green is in...

[​IMG]
  11. brotherbassj

brotherbassj Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    That ain't no forte no more, shaved neck, custom refin.......it's a Ho Tangerine "effing" special bro! :) :bassist:

Didnt i read that the necks on czechs are made here and shipped over and put togther by people in the czech republic? If so aren't they hand made......at least to a degree? Or are they CNC'ed here and machined in the czech republic? Forgive me if I am confused......:meh:

How are you digging the ACG filter preamp in that green machine? That is what is in that right? That came from Ho right, with an altered pre, shaved neck and refin right? :hyper:
  12. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

Another thread already. Here's the stable, minus the P Bass, so it's all Spectors now, except for my Epiphone (my first bass).

[​IMG]
  13. JPSBassist

JPSBassist

The neck blanks... the USA Rock Maple 3-ply slugs that are used to make BOTH USA and Euro neck-thru models are sent over.

Along with the carbon fiber support rods.

The necks are shaped there. And like in the USA, the rough shaping is done with the CNC, but the actually neck shape, profile and the fine sanding/finishing is done by hand at both locations.

I like to tell people that I think the Euro Spectors are 8.5 out of 10.

That the USA Spectors are 12 out of 10.

If that makes sense?

It's the little things in the finishing that make them so special. Little details that add up to a really notable quality improvement.

I usually also say you have to hold/play a USA to really understand.
  14. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Spector Strings
    Wow!! Beautiful. :)
  15. Rick Blanc

Rick Blanc Supporting Member

16. Tostitos

Tostitos

In with a humble offering.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately they're on the opposite side of the state from me until early January. I'm having Spector withdrawals.
  17. JPSBassist

JPSBassist

I love this bass. And love that the Leo Quan bridge matches.
    This is a SEXY BEAST!!!!:bassist:
  18. JPSBassist

JPSBassist

Humble? Those two basses ROCK! And the SSD NS-94 is a really great bass that doesn't get a lot of attention. But it's a really sweet ride.

Sorry about the distance from your basses. May you get back to them ASAP!
  19. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

I show my wife pictures of all the cool basses I see - most of which are Spectors - and she's not usually impressed. When i showed her this one, she was really wowed. It's up there in the top 5 favorites for me. Unbelievably cool bass!
  20. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

And then there is this one.... also in my top 5!!! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.