Spector 4LX vs 4LX-TW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lysergik08, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Lysergik08

Lysergik08

Hello TB, long time lurker, first time poster here. I've played a Spector Legend 4-string for quite some time now, and looking to upgrade to a Euro, but I can't seem to find one to try out at any store in my area.

I'm a huge fan of the Spector sound, and I'm wondering what the real difference between these two models are. I know the pickups are different, and the TW has a single-coil mode, but I've read and heard from others might not be worth it due to the significant volume drop, and the simplicity of the standard 4LX seems more appealing to what I would be doing.

Before I order this, is the extra range of tones of TW worth it? I've played 35' inch model basses before and prefer the 34', but will this be an issue in drop C tuning? I'm playing through GK 1001rb head and a 4x10 GK cab. Thanks!
  2. Vain1

Vain1

The good news is that you can have both if you really want.:)
  3. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    The only difference between the two models is the pickups; that being said, the P/J setup sounds completely different than the dual TW's.

Personally I much prefer the P/J setup, as it is the classic 'Spector sound'...a more aggressive voicing with more growl, brightness and punch that also gives you the option of mimicking the more conventional solo'd J and P bass sounds.

However, the one benefit about going with the TW model is that with the humbucker routes you would have the option of swapping the original pickups out for a wide variety of different setups (DC/DC, P/DC, P/P, P/J, J/J, etc.) that EMG offers in the 35 humbucker housing.

Tuning a 34" scale to Drop C is no problem at all as long as you have strings with the appropriate gauge/tension for the tuning; I've tuned standard scale Spectors to drop B as well as BEAD tuning with excellent results :bassist:
  4. BruceWane

BruceWane

TWs are an EMG CS dual coil and an EMG J inside one shell.

The classic aggressive Spector sound is usually coming from a pair of EMG DCs, not CSs. CSs are a bit less bright, more full and fat sounding than the DCs.

The TWs volume difference between CS dual coil and J single coil modes is easily fixed by including a trim pot in your wiring.

I like TWs, but they are pretty different from DCs, so if you're going for that aggressive Spector sound, TWs may not be for you.
  5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Here's a clip of some 40TWs, down tuned 5 string with some pretty heavy gauge Cirkle Ks.......they definitely get into "the Spector sound" territory, but just a bit less bright with a fatter low end.

Edited to add - it doesn't look like he's going much below C in that clip, so it's a pretty good idea of what you'd get out of TWs and your intended drop c tuning, using similar strings.....

34" scale is not necessarily a problem for lower tunings, as long as the bass is well built with a very stiff, solid neck (Spectors are usually fine). You'll probably have to try a few different gauges/brand/types of strings to find just the right feel and sound. Which you really need to do with any bass, anyway.