Spector bass question/bonus EMG question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamiroquaisub, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jamiroquaisub

jamiroquaisub

Question #1: Is this bass a euro? It looks like a three piece with two large wings joined to one narrow strip that runs down the middle of the whole bass. It does not have any name on it, anywhere. It does not have "made in CZ" stamped anywhere either. The tuners say made in Germany. Did Spector ever make a knockoff of a euro, or is this definitely a euro if it is shaped like one?

Question #2: The original pickups and tone pump were removed and replaced with EMGs. These EMGs have the EC/JJ stickers that indicate they are from around 2000 but otherwise have no other identifying marks. Am I correct that around that time EMG did not have a cheap pickup set such that these are definitely pretty good pickups? The pots are the EMG 25KA and they are currently wired volume, volume, passive tone. I am told they could be wired with a separate tone knob for each pickup (the fourth knob/pot is currently not being used at all).

Question #3: Am I correct that many people didn't like the tone pump and replaced the stock pickup/pre with EMGs? Would I be missing something or missing a lot by not have the stock pickup and pre? Is the classic Spector pickup sound the reason to get one of these, or do people like them better with EMGs? I play all styles but don't own a bass with EMGs and would currently need to use a Lakland 4402 (with the original, mellower pre) for the kind of hard rock I'd expect to use the Spector for.

Thanks to everyone for any information or advice they have to offer.

Attached Files:

2. jamiroquaisub

jamiroquaisub

Here's the back of the bass and headstock.

Attached Files:

3. jamiroquaisub

jamiroquaisub

Bridge and pickup closeups.

Attached Files:

4. Thedeadking

Thedeadking Supporting Member

It looks more like a NS-2a than a Euro which was a korean neck thru model.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tomydacat

tomydacat

looks to be an NS2A but im sure the Spector club would know for 100%.. and they are korean made and AWESOME basses for the price.. looks like you have upgraded pickups in there ..great bass join the spector family... can you shoot a pic of the inside of the cavity . my old NS2a had the Korean Haz copy..
  7. jamiroquaisub

jamiroquaisub

The control cavity is a little weird as the battery sits on top of the foam to separate it from the electronics. It may not have been that way originally though.

Attached Files:

8. srvlives4evr

srvlives4evr Supporting Member

OP said its vol, vol, tone, w/ dummy 4th knob. prob not going to show much, but I say Korean NS2A as well (Nice basses, on the hunt sorta right now for one)... If it is a NS2A, it should have been equiped with a Korean copy of the USA 9v circuit from the factory, bummer if its not.

EDIT: I see the cavity pics now. I would say the stock 'Spector branded' passive pickups were replaced with these EMGs and well..as you can see, wired passive...maybe the preamp was broken???..
  9. jamiroquaisub

jamiroquaisub

Thanks everyone for the information.

SRV, when you say "USA 9v circuit" are you referring to the HAZ preamp?
  10. jamiroquaisub

jamiroquaisub

The pots look like this - they are wired straight to the battery which I think is not too uncommon with EMGs?

Attached Files:

11. srvlives4evr

srvlives4evr Supporting Member

Yes.
  12. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

That's an NS-2A with modified active pick-ups & passive electronics. looks like a Vol-Vol-Tone setup & they left the 4th knob in.
  13. jamiroquaisub

jamiroquaisub

Thanks everyone for the very helpful information.