Spector Bass tone comparison

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by seventhframe, Feb 11, 2013.

1. seventhframe

seventhframe

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Thought I'd post it here as well. I made a comparison between 3 of my Spector Basses:
    Forte 4
    NS-2
    NS-2 Brooklyn era 1985

:bassist:

2. Dr3thepooner

Dr3thepooner

Man this is just great... i am getting rid of my 5 String Ibanez sr505, looking for something more growlier / burpier ... with more character and depth.

This here sounds really great, now i was looking Warwicks and Standard Fender Jazz and Sterling by MM as well.

So far Spector is my #1 choice, just unsure if they are sold anywhere locally in Vancouver , Canada.
  3. The Rage

The Rage

Everytime I see this video S.a.s. strikes hard... Think that the 1985 spector is my favourite in sound and look.
  4. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

Love it. Thanks for making the video and posting it here.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

After listening to Fender basses all day, I have to say those Spector's sound a little thin in comparison.

Out of the three, the beautiful 1985 Brooklyn gets the prize.
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I think the Forte sounds the best, but they all definitely capture the signature Spector tone. My Euro 4LX had the exact same vibe and snarl. It's a great sound, but it never worked for me in a live setting. What sounded great solo'd got lost in the mix due to the lack of mids. I ended up trading my spector for a Modulus.
  8. Dragan

Dragan

Another vote for forte. Spector are great basses, somehow works best for style of music and playing as on your video. I had Spector LX 5 with EMG bqc pre (mid control) and that bass is the beast! However I dont agree with post above about "lost in the mix due to lack of mids" Even if you dont have mid control, you can shape 2 band EQ in order to boost the mid frequencies simply by roll off bass and treble a bit.
  9. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1

A lot of guys don't really like the spectors as they run the preamps wide open or at 10 and that totally sucks the mids out. I've found that running my spectors with a slight boost when needed with a dedicated preamp (B7K in my case) for more tone shaping works great. I get that gnarly spector tone but it's not over the top and I fit in the mix nice and well. I also get the snarl and bite from the Darkglass. Love my spectors.
  10. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

In my opinion i'd rank it 3,2,1. They all sounded great, but I like that top end bite.