1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Spector Euro or Rebop vs Fender USA Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Dec 25, 2012.

?

Spector Euro/Rebop or Fender USA Precision?

1. Keep the Fender

241 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. Buy a Spector

97 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I'm having a "situation" - I absolutely love everything about my Fender, the way it plays, the neck, the tone, looks, etc. but the body is massive on me (short female) plus I'm more than just a little overweight so when I play the bass sits at a weird angle.

I used to own a Spector Euro, and just totally fell in love with the curved NS body shape. The tone wasn't quite as perfect as the Fender, but then I don't think any bass tone could match or beat a Fender P tone (IMHO of course).

My dilemma is that I can't afford to buy a Spector Euro or Rebop and keep the Fender.

What would YOU do?

Keep in mind that I'm hoping for either one to become a "bass for life" :)
  2. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

I've gone though my share of bass exploration this year and I've come to the conclusion that Spectors are the bass for me. NS body style, the tone, and all around perfection of the build. Fender P Basses happen to be my 2nd favorite. I've owned two his year, but sold them both to keep all of my Spectors. I totally understand your dilemma, though, and its total personal choice. keep in mind, the tonal options with Spector can be expanded/changed with different preamps. The body's on the P bass aren't changing, but you might find the perfect preamp in a Spector to suit your preferable tones.
  3. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Disclosures:
    No affiliations
    Doesnt spector make some basses with a P route? Could convert one of those to passive and install any number of fenderish pickups like Duncan SPB-1
  4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

Well I would go back to the Spector, if that sort of thing happened to me. You said that you were totally in love with it, so in that case, going back to a Spector would be a good idea.

Plus you have a bass then that has 24 frets, so you can get higher notes then the Fender (if that's what you like) :)
  5. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I love both.... So i own both.

Hard decision as both are super versatile.

A Spector might be the best bet as you seem to like the ergonomics better.
  6. davefonbass

davefonbass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Spector basses
    After owning so many basses over a 30 year career Spector is the bass for me...but you have to decide what best suits your needs and your budget. Spector basses are built for a lifetime so unless you just want more than 1, you'll never need to purchase another unless again you just need more than 1.

Fender is a great company with many options...but so is Spector and Spector gets my vote on every count! Hope that helps you and doesn't confuse you...Merry Christmas!

:bassist:
  7. uno5885

uno5885

I have gone through many basses over the years (fender, g&l, alembic, peavey, heartfield, tobias, modulus just to name a few) and the Spector Euro5 is the one that takes the cake. It just plays and sounds great. I would always say get a Spector but you gotta find what works for you. Basses are so personal I find it tough to say "Yea get this, or Get that". If the Spector floats your boat pull the trigger and go for it. Just my 2 cents.
  8. mazdah

mazdah

Keep the P.

My friend has two Euros, and both are heavier than heaviest of my P-basses.
    Also, there is nothing wrong with P-bass body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict Supporting Member

Mel, because you like the contoured body of the Euro and the classic sound of a P-bass, I would suggest getting a Euro & converting it to passive pickups & electronics.
    You could remove & sell the EMG pickups & TonePump pre, and use the money to install a set of Fender American or CS pickups & a passive vol/tone setup, giving you the best aspects of both basses.
  10. superdick2112

Ah, Suzie Q....

Many players have made the P-bass sound great , but very few have made it look this good...
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have owned many Fenders and Spectors. I like the Fenders much better. The Spectors are nice looking and play well but I good never get the tone that I wanted.

You basically answered your own question when you said that you love the tone of your Fender and could never get the same tone from a Spector. Based on your post, it seems like the only reason you want a Spector is because you like the way they look. Not a good reason to make the switch in my opinion. Why sacrifice tone for looks?
  12. superdick2112

Actually, she said she prefers the way Spectors feel - the contoured body in particular. Spectors are exceedingly comfortable basses to play, and a simple change of pickups could get her the Fender tone she loves.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Actually, the OP never mentioned the way the Spector feels. Here is the quote: "I used to own a Spector Euro, and just totally fell in love with the curved NS body shape."

Doesn't mention feel at all.

I would keep the Fender.
  14. superdick2112

Kmonk - read the OP's first sentence - its all about the fact that she doesn't like the ergonomics (aka the feel) of the Fender body. I'm betting her desire for a Spector is based more on this aspect, and looks are secondary.

I'm sure she'll chime back in soon & confirm this...
  15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Yeah, my sentence was a little ambiguous, I agree. It's the feel of the curved body that I loved, the way my beer belly doesn't push it off my knee when sitting or to a funny angle when standing. The way my right wrist doesn't rest on the body when playing without changing the position of my arm. It just feels amazing.

The look of the Spector shape is kinda ugly IMHO (don't flame!) and I think the Fender looks way better.

But the Fender tone... nothing comes close!
  16. Musicman20

Musicman20

Personally it sounds like you want to keep the Fender!
  17. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

My MIJ Precision is noticeably lighter than the MIA's I used to have.......just sayin'.
  18. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Thanks for your reply. Although I've no idea what relevance it has to my query!
  19. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Oh, I thought the weight of your Precision was an issue. I guess I've read too many posts today.......
  20. WOLFTOWER5

WOLFTOWER5 Supporting Member

I have had both Fender P and Jazz basses in the past. Now I have 2 SPECTORS and an ESP. I can completely understand your point on both sound and body shape. The Fender Vs: Spector sound is like comparing an Apple to a tomato, they're both round and red but that's it. I agree with the post about buying a euro and pulling the guts in favor of a passive setup. You can even buy a Legend series, they have a contoured body, bolt on neck and the neck itself is slightly thinner due to it not having the Euro or USA graphite stiffening rods. Legends are fairly cheap used 150-200 and then a good Fender reissue P/J set for 125 and you'd have a pretty awesome bass. Would give you the feel of a Spector body, thin neck similar to a Fender Jazz and the sound of the reissue P set and the flexibility to dial in a bit of the J pickup if needed. That would seem to fit the need and not bust the pocket book on a 1200 bass(Euro or Fender USA).

Just my two cents. I hope you find what your looking for.

On a side note, I'm a bit of a "big boned man" myself. What helped me was playing with a strap even when sitting down. Being a woman, I can't say if it would help with the chest area, but I do have a bit of the "man boob" syndrome and the strap is actually very comfortable. Any way Good luck with everything.