Spector Forte-4X

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mournblade, Dec 15, 2012.

1. mournblade

mournblade

For those who have played them, is the upper fret access as bad as it looks? Really like the looks of the bass, but it appears anything above the 19th - 20h fret is going to be difficult to reach ( not that I am a soloing virtuoso, but I do like to go up there ). Also, how is the sound? I love the neck on the Spectors I have played, but never been crazy about the body or the way the upper horn looks. Thanks in advance.

2. awilkie84

awilkie84

The upper frets are pretty easy to access. :) The sound is killer, all spector...no frills

3. mournblade

mournblade

Cool thanks for the reply. Now I just need to wait for the next one to go up in the classifieds. Missed 2 in the last 3 months.

4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

I just brought one home yesterday. I love the sound of the Aguilar OBP-2. But seriously, I don't know how you can reach those uppers. My pinkie can get as far as 18 on the E, while my middle can reach 19 on E & A. I have to use my ring finger to get to 20 on D & G. I'm also not crazy about the strap button being on the back of the body.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. connected2aj

connected2aj

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Godlyke, Hartke, & Hipshot
    Truthfully, the X is not a bass that is easy to utilize the upper frets. It is a real chore to get above the 19th fret. I bought mine to sling low & rock with, it sure isn't the ideal bass to shred past the 15th. If you're looking at a Forte with upper fret access you're better off with the NS body shape.

7. mournblade

mournblade

I have several basses that allow for easy 21+ access, so it is not a purchase killer by any means. After getting my explorer, I suddenly have a whole new appreciation for the EX/TB style body. Combine that with the neck I have always liked on Spectors and, dammit, another bass on the list .

8. connected2aj

connected2aj

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Godlyke, Hartke, & Hipshot
    I feel the same way. Have always loved the T-bird, especially Nikki Sixx's Spectorbirds. So it was a no brained for me. It's total rock n roll. Sling it low & rumble away!

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

If you like the Spector neck and sound and you want an x-body (Tbird type shape) with access to the upper frets take a look at the Professional Signature Series Rex bass. Its a neck thru design has a great preamp and pickup combo and a cutout body to allow upper fret access. I have the Rex 5 string (with holoflash finish, which is a love it or hate it finish) and I'm really pleased with how well it plays. Not too heavy, relatively well balanced and the neck profile is very thin front to back and not over wide for a 5 string. Here's a pic of mine...
    [​IMG]

10. mournblade

mournblade

Thanks man, I Like the holoflash on your Rex Sig.

@connected2aj - I also remember the spector birds, something very cool about Nikki; he not only got me into bass playing, but my love for B.C. Rich's.

11. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

Yea ... that is a sweet ride! I even like the body shape a little better than the forte-x :cool: