Spector NS2005 Preamp question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyclopsbookworm, Dec 6, 2012.

1. cyclopsbookworm

cyclopsbookworm Mutant Werewolf Supporting Member

Hey TB. I wasn't sure where to post this as it's technically a preamp/pickup question. I decided here as it's specific to this particular bass.

I just bought a late 90's (98, I think..haven't researched the serial all the way) 5-string Spector NS2005, which was the older model before they started calling them Legends. I love almost everything about the bass. The neck is straight, solid, and incredibly comfortable, and the thru-neck design has sustain for days. Nice good heft to the bass as well.

And short for one bad fret, the bass is almost perfect...except the electronics. The previous owner was a guitar player that basically left this in it's case for years.

There is a buzz coming from somewhere along the line in the treble soapbar. I tried a good electronics cleaning...no dice. That, combined with the fact that I'm not incredibly fond of the EMG HZ's to begin with led me to decide to just replace the pups and preamp while I'm at it. I decided to ask you guys what would be your recommendations for replacements for the pups and preamp.

I had my eyes on the Bassline NYC's with maybe an Aguilar 3-band preamp, though that setup is pretty pricey. What would you guys suggest? Is that overkill for this bass? Even though the bass cost me nothing more than a trade for a 1x15 cab, I love it's playability and natural sound, so I think it's worth it. What do you think?

As far as what I play, I mess with a lot of things so I'll keep it simple...I use a good smooth mid as my base and tinker from there. I use some OD sometimes, but I'm generally in the clean midrange.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

go to th e SPector Club they are awesome in there...

3. cyclopsbookworm

cyclopsbookworm Mutant Werewolf Supporting Member

Closing thread...conversation moved over to Spector club.