Spector or MTD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xhawk5, Feb 19, 2014.

Spector or MTD?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2014.
  1. Spector NS2000-5

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. MTD Kingston Heir

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Simple question... I'm looking to add a 3rd bass to my collection. I can't buy both so any feedback why you like one over the other would be appreciated.

ATM I'm really digging the aggressive tone from a well-built Traben Chaos Core-5 with Rockfields, Aguilar OBP-3, 35" scale and 19mm spacing.

Spector NS2000-5 (Neck-thru) or a MTD Kingston Heir-5 (Bolt-on)

Both are in excellent condition w/case. Both are MIK and solid trans colors.
    MTD is $100 more.

I am leaning towards the MTD because of wider string spacing and bolt-on punch. Is the Spector more aggressive sounding? I've never played a MTD Heir-5.

Thanks!

2. Boldaz-Lepton

Boldaz-Lepton

I have owned the Spector since 2002 and it has held up incredibly well. Mine is stock but I've been able to play all kinds of stuff with it and has always worked really well.

I love the curved body, the fact that it's neckthrough, and the (almost) all maple construction. I think this bass, even with the stock electronics, has quite a bit of bite. If you like the zingy string noise you'll just love this bass.

Can't recommend it enough, especially for the price.

Hope this helps...

3. GG-Thunderbird

GG-Thunderbird

I have the MTD Heir 5 and personally I think its an amazing bass that cover a large range of tones due to the pickup configuration. It can get very aggressive, but you can dial it back to make it fit in with any other genre you want. But the same can be said about any bass really (depending on how you set the EQ on your amp).

As much as I like the MTD, I also really like the Spector. Dan Briggs from Between the Buried and Me has a tone that is just killer coming from his Spector. Its very comfortable to play (at least the one I tried was) and I would have bought it had not been for what I liked about the MTD. I like the wider string spacing, and the pickup configuration more than that on the Spector. Also the asymmetric neck on the MTD just felt 'right' for my hands.

If you can, go to the store and try out an MTD. The neck profile is great in my opinion, but for some, it's just not their cup of tea.

4. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Depends on what you want. The Spector is built better and will be more modern / aggressive sounding. I'm not a fan of the pups and pre in the 2000 but they can be upgraded. The my did a great bass as well. I can't say the bolt on will be punchier as the Spector is great in the punch and growl department as well. The NT's will do more vintage tones better if that's what your after.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I guess it really comes down to string spacing and body style. All other things being equal, I will always vote for Spector. However, I prefer the wider string spacing of the MTD.

7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I have an Heir .. I prefer the wider spacing at the moment... and the one Spector that I have played was a smaller tighter bass. I really like the necks on the Kingstons...

8. Lync

Lync

I own (ed):

Spector Legend 4, 5, 4(Bubinga body), Euro LX 4

MTD Kingston Passive 5, Artist 4 and Artist 5

MTD:
    Best neck
    Body is larger (looks better on me @ 6' tall)

Spector:
    Killer tones

So Spector gets the nod with tone (although my MTD 5 sounds really close), but MTD gets the nod with ergonomics. MTD does still sound good though, so that's why I vote MTD.

9. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Hmmm. Good info guys, thx. I really thought this would be a closer poll.
    80% vs 20% in favor of the Spector. Wow.
    I had heard ALOT of good things about the MTD. But most of em were from die-hard Tobias folks. The good Spector name pretty much speaks for itself. :)
    Keep it going...

10. D_Bag

D_Bag

I can't speak for the MTD, but I own a Spector NS2000/4. The tone is very thick, punchy, and modern sounding. It was my main bass for about 6 years, but I am going for a more vintage sound these days so it's become my back up. It's a great bass though if you're going for that aggressive sound.

11. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

I have a really good aggressive/metal/cut-thru sound with my Traben w/Rockfields and the Aggy OBP-3.
    I'm kind-of looking for an all-around, do it all Intermediate-priced bass. My $2000 bass will be decided in a year when I turn 50. :)

12. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I've owned both and it does really come down to ergonomics, since both the MTD and Spector are pretty different feeling. MTD necks are pretty unique feeling with the rounder top, narrower bottom taper. They also tend to be lighter weight basses. Spector necks can be on the fat side for the most part and that's the main thing that bugged me about mine.They tend to be more on the heavier side as basses go, also another negative as far as I'm concerned. But they do have really aggressive tone. Overall I'd say the MTD would be the most versatile and the Spector the best for heavy rock tones.