1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Spector peeps: Deal or No Deal? help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hobbes1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. hobbes1

hobbes1

I know of someone selling a Spector MK5 for about $500 and also a Spector Legend Custom 5 string for $400. I've been trying to read through some of the threads here but could the knowledgeable spector people here chime in on your opinion if either of these make a good deal?
    Currently I'm playing an older Tobias (Gibson) Growler which I really like and am looking for a good backup or alternate bass with somewhat of a different sound but good playability and quality. (I'm also considering G&L2500 tribute). None of these basses are to be had in a music store or seller nearby so would have to be bought "blind"....
    Thanks!

2. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

the price is on the good side of average on the legend custom. they are built really well. I don't know anything about the MK. do you like 35" scale basses? the legend is a 35".

you can play it as is, or upgrade the electronics to real EMG's depending on your taste. I think the standard legend electronics sound great in a full band mix.

3. hobbes1

hobbes1

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I can play 35" scale no prob. It doesn't bother me to switch back and forth bewteem 34" and 35".
    thanks

4. tnickk

tnickk

I have 16 basses and the Spector Legend custom gets played the most. It's a lot of bass for the money. If it's in good condition I would buy it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

If you want the "value", the best thing to do is check out how much they are new (guitarcenter.com and musiciansfriend.com are good starting points) and then search completed listings on eBay and the classifieds here on talkbass.

7. hobbes1

hobbes1

@tnickk: you've got a lot of nice basses in your sig! the legend must be pretty decent to get play time over some of them.

@NKUSigEp: yes...i do review those prices as part of evaluating the used price. thanks for the pointers though. i was mainly curious to see opinions on here about the basses i'm considering and if people thought they were worth considering or if they thought one or the other might be a "really good price" or "i wouldn't buy it if it was $100 cheaper"....

8. awilkie84

awilkie84

The price on the MK5 is pretty good, too. It's a scaled-down version of the MK5-USA. Set neck, passive EMG-HZ pickups, passive tone controls. Only a Spector inlay on the 12th fret and an M on the 3rd fret. Flat black. I played one, liked it a lot. Should have bought it.

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

No worries but these types of threads are generally discouraged because what one person will pay for something might be totally different from what someone else will. Not to mention the "veiled for sale thread" issue (see TB rules). So by doing a search of that bass in the classifieds, you'll have instant, current, and reliable data on pricing.