1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Spector Performer 5 or Legend 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Venom of God, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Venom of God

Venom of God

Hey guys, long time no post!
    Lately I am gassing for a new bass for death metal.. I know that sounds like a joke, but it isn't!! I'm 26 now and missing my teenage years I think :p

I'm listening to a lot of early Autopsy, Entombed etc. and feel like playing some but my Gibson doesn't quite cut it so I was thinking maybe a Spector in a five string? I've never had a fiver before and don't know how much I'll like it, so I'm wary of spending too much, but is the Legend worth it over the Performer? These things are CHEAP! Also, is there any difference other than finish between the Legend Standards and Legend Classics? I can't see any!

Either way I'll probably put EMG's in it. Also, please don't tell me to go and buy a Euro, I'm easily convinced!

Thanks for any advice!

2. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

What's your budget?

3. Venom of God

Venom of God

I wouldn't be willing to spend anymore than a Euro, but I think that's probably overkill for my uses! Basically trying to suss out if I'd be happy with a Performer or if I'd regret it and just buy a Legend anyway six months later.

I have played both but honestly they were so different to my 'Bird and the fifth string so foreign I couldn't really tell how much more I liked the Legend (of if I liked it more at all). Neither were plugged in but I figure that probably doesn't matter since I'd want real EMG's anyway.

4. raventepes

raventepes

As an avid fan of death metal, black metal, and every other metal in between, between the Performer 5 and the Legend 5, I'd go with the Legend...but I'd also be inclined to give Schecter a look. I'll be honest. I was GASSING for a Spector about 4 years ago. Still am to an extent, but ultimately, I ended up going with a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6, vs a Spector Legend 6. Ultimately, I decided that since I was going to gut it any ways (pickups and pre-amp and equip it with EMG 45 TW's and an Aguilar preamp, respectively ) I preferred the fact that it has a laminated maple/walnut neckthrough design with a mahogany body, 3 band EQ, and 18v battery compartment. Of course my needs are possibly different than yours, it's just what I liked and wanted in a new instrument. Build quality is around the same, but the Schecters have a slightly thinner neck, making them more comfortable to play.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Venom of God

Venom of God

I have ALWAYS wanted a Spector since Mike Starr played one, so that's what really pushes me in that direction. Plus where I live Schecter's are a rarity.. I have seen some seven string guitars and that's about it. Never a bass.

If I knew I'd like a fiver I'd probably just get a Euro, but I don't know that I'll like it and I'll probably get a Euro 4 one day anyway, so it's too much cash for a bit of fun. I am leaning towards the Legend over the Performer though. Alternatively I suppose I could just get a Euro 4 and tune it BEAD if need be but I feel like a five could be fun..?

7. Venom of God

Venom of God

Also, string spacing looks to be a little different on the Classic and Standard Legend 5's, is this the only difference?

EDIT::Just noticed the Standard is Mahogany and the Classic is Maple! In theory the Classic would be brighter then, yes? Though with EMG's would it even make a difference?

8. imdkoz

imdkoz

I bought a Performer 4 for cheap for the same reason of always wanting a Spector. Added EMG HZs with an EMG BTC pre that I found on TB cheap and it kills.

9. Venom of God

Venom of God

Reading lots and starting to lean heavily toward just grabbing another four string and tuning it BEAD..

Also kind of regretting selling my old Jazz bass with a Basslines Humbucker in it as it would have been a good test bed!