Spector Performer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TUEP, Jan 8, 2014.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Always wanted a Spector bass...I got lucky years ago and got to play a old late 80's NS2 with the Hazlab pre and the active EMG P/J set up. It wasn't mine but it was sweetness!

Anyway over the years I have seen a few Spector models pop up in different shops here and there and never played a bad one. Even the legend plays super nice. But alas...I am a man on a budget and the Spector Performer has caught my eye and I have not heard anything bad about these. I just scored a Ibanez ATK 300 a couple months ago and was thinking of getting a MIM P-bass and then I saw this http://www.samash.com/spector-perfo...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNG63cud8LsCFRBnOgod-CoAXw

And it was like seeing a picture of the most beautiful woman who is not high maintenance. Any opinions about it? I got an idea of what those EMG SSD pups sound like and I can live with that or upgrade later. My concern is the action Spector is known for low, fast playing actions. What is the deal with its action?

2. TUEP

TUEP

3. GastonD

GastonD

Well, I do not and did not play this particular one, but it looks a lot like my old Spector NS2000/4. It was a great bass (active though) and I liked it immensely. The neck was comfortable, as was the body, the sound was good (EMG-HZ pups)...really, a good choice if you just have to have a Spector, and the budget is tight :)

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I'd buy a used Legend before I'd buy that...

- georgestrings

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I have a Performer and I have to say it's actually pretty good. The feel is great, sound still has that Spector growl. It's a great deal for the money imo, but here's one thing I would recommend. If you're on a budget and you want a Spector.... you can buy used. I did, I bought the Performer for $149. It was in perfect shape, no scratches, neck straight. action perfect- tap lightly on the string low.

Here's a Performer for $149
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...ERORMER-4-MID-BLUE-BASS-109776644-i3558888.gc

or how about a Spector Legend for $299?
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...-CLASSIC-4-BLACK-CHERRY-109806763-i3582344.gc

or a Spector NS-94 for $219
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SPECTOR-NS-94-BASS-109618635-i3451526.gc

Shipping to your door is about $25 extra. I would call the store and have them describe the condition for you. I've bought about 20 basses online at GC.

Buy used and you'll still have money in your pocket to put towards the MIM Fender. (which you can also buy used) In fact, it's possible to buy both a Spector AND a MIM Fender P-bass for the money you're willing to shell out for the Spector alone. Here's a P-Bass for $274. You could find one for less, they just don't have any cheaper as of this moment, I've seen some go for $200.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-MEXICAN-PRECISION-BASS-109813750-i3591437.gc

7. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

That last one is not an NS-94.

http://www.spectorguitars.com/models/ssd-asia.html

Hard to tell what it is from the poor picture. Possibly a Legend as well.

8. Maxdusty

You're right... I can't tell from the picture myself now that I look at it. But even if it is a Legend, it's a good price if in good condition.

9. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

I have a Performer and I agree that it actually pretty good. It has a nice neck and the sound is decent. I had an Ian Hill model before this and, I actually prefer the Performer. The neck isn't as nice and the tone isn't as good, but it is much more comfortable for me to play.

I liked the Performer enough to also get a Performer-5. They both work extremely well for the situation I bought them for.

The one thing that I don't like about the Perfomer is the output jack. Or at least the fact that it is recessed into the body a little and you can't use a 90 degree cable (like the custom one I use for my wireless). I ended up installing a Gibson Les Paul style jack plate.

--jack

10. TUEP

TUEP

Wow! Thanks for the links...it will be about a month or so before I can get something. Do those two Spector models pop up frequently on those sites? I really hope that blue one is still around in a month or so. I like that color.

11. Maxdusty

Yes, you see them pretty frequently. If for some reason the blue one is still around, it might even be at a lower price. Keep checking every now and then though, the different Guitar Center stores price their used items differently.
    Use this Used Instruments link- (it's already set for "Spector" basses and in price order)
    the listings go on this page first before it goes to the other one (that permits internet ordering). You'll have to call and order it over the phone but by doing that, you can also get the store associate to give you his opinion of the condition of the bass before you buy it.
    http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedge...r=asc&srch&category=38&q=spector&distance=100

This page is sortable by price.(by clicking on the "price" in the category description of the listing.. Also you can specify the make of the bass you're looking for on the right hand side of the page.

Once in a while, you get a heck of a deal, sometimes something gets priced perhaps too cheaply. Bought a Cort Curbow a while back for $109 when the same bass was selling elsewhere for $180-250 used. The bass was flawless and even came with a case.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

I got a Performer Deluxe, which is essentially the same instrument as this for $168 from Musician's Friend a few years ago for a beater (the current one may have a downgraded bridge -- I can't really tell from the picture). It had a lot of serious problems, which with a tremendous amount of bench time I got more or less straightened out (it was the last one, otherwise I would have sent it back for an exchange). I don't like the neck, which has an extremely flat fingerboard and that invisible matte finish that gives the impression of raw wood. It's passive, BTW, if that matters.

This was a Chinese one and I understand now they are made in Indonesia, which (if true) may make a lot of difference. Still, $400 is a lot for this thing and I wouldn't do it.

13. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

The new Indonesian Performers are brilliant basses for the money. A true Spector at a budget price. The old Chinese Performers don't compare at all and are best avoided.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

I really can't see much that's "true Spector" about these at all. It's just a very generic passive bolt-on slab bass with a Spector body outline and the logo on the head. The pickups are essentially just the ubiquitous and hated EMG HZs (I'm indifferent about them, but they are probably the most dissed pickups on TB, fairly or not) with a token mid tweak and no active controls to dig them out.

I'm sure that in terms of build quality, you're right, some of the Chinese ones were terrible...but the new ones are even less "Spectorish" with the new, somewhat downgraded generic bridge. Other than that, I see no material difference in the old and new ones...not counting the cosmetic B-grade maple top furniture laminate on the Chinese ones.

If I'm missing something here, tell me what it is. What am I overlooking that got upgraded? :confused:

BTW, here's a shot of the Officially Cheapest New Spector in TB History. Bask in $168 worth of fabulosity:

[​IMG]

15. TUEP

TUEP

I obviously can't speak for these basses...as I haven't got my hands on one yet. But, I have two Indonesian made Ibanez's. One is a 12 year old GSR-200 and the other is an ATK-300. For budget stuff they are IMO way more solid and better built than Chinese stuff I have messed with.

16. TUEP

TUEP

Thanks for linking that for me.

17. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Why not get out and try one then to see if (being realistic about the price point) it's in keeping with the sound and feel of other Spectors? The new Performers are great basses and, unlike some other brands' budget offerings (or the Chinese Performers) stay true to the core brand identity.

If you try one and don't like it that's fair enough. To dismiss without trying is naïve and foolish! :p

18. awilkie84

awilkie84

I don't get why the EMG-HZ pickups are dissed. They're great pickups, if you want passives.

Also, Performers come with SSD pickups, not HZs.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

I don't understand it either. I don't see anything especially "great" about them, they're just average blade pickups...but people here dis them no end like they were poison or something. I think this is largely just gear-forum imitative behavior. [shrug]

They're virtually always with that crappy EMG active tone control, though, in OEM applications. In the Performer they are pure passives -- which is probably a net gain. ;)

I think the OEM appeal to builders is that they are sealed blade pickups, which makes sloppy build alignment a non-issue -- a good thing on the Performer above as the pickups were routed and mounted about 1/4" off-center :meh:

The SSD is just an HZ with a very token mids tweak so as to call it something different, as I said. That info's directly from Spector, BTW. I guess the actual point is to call it something else to get out from under this perceived HZ negativity.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

I own one.

21. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

You have a Chinese one, from what you posted. No, SSD's are not tweaked HZ's. Neither better or worse for it. And they're not called SSD's to distance themselves from some 'HZ stigma' or you'd quickly find the HZ's replaced in the Euro Rebop line. Still, as you're a SAE (self-appointed expert), there's little point in arguing against you. Thank you and good night. :)