Spector Q4Pro EMG BTS Hz upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Slap_N_Slide, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Slap_N_Slide

Slap_N_Slide

I have a Spector Q4Pro that i bought new around 5 years ago.

The pots are starting to feel very rough and don't think they have much life left in them.

Can someone advise me what my best option would be.

Either replacing with a new EMG BTS system, or is there a better set of electronics that i can use with the HZ pickups?

I have recently added another 9v battery to take it to 18v and this increased the headroom substantially. It sounds pretty good just now but I'm sure there are much better electronics available than the standard ones.

It is £105 for a full solder-less set EMG BTS electronics

2. spego

spego Supporting Member

What kind of preamp is in the Q4Pro? If it's a tonepump I personally would keep it and put the money toward pups IMO. I wired my zebop 18v with the tonepump....put a 35CS in the bridge and a 35DC in the neck and it's a monster now. Night and day difference.

If you want to upgrade though.....get something with a mid control......I just put a Aguilar OBP-3 in a streamer and that preamp transformed the bass tonally from the lowest to the highest in my stable. I've been buying EMG preamps for years now.....after one Aguilar I won't be buying anything else. They sound unreal.

3. Slap_N_Slide

Slap_N_Slide

It is an EMG BTS preamp, with Hz pickups

4 controls

Bass
    Treble
    Front pickup
    Back pickup

4. spego

spego Supporting Member

ok I gotcha. I had that setup in a spector legend classic one time.....decent setup.

I'd believe an Aguilar would be a significant upgrade. You can have the OBP-3 wired with a stacked bass/treble and push/pull mid control.......would open a new world of tonal options for you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slap_N_Slide

Slap_N_Slide

So would that Aguilar setup keep my existing 4 knob configuration?

And that would work well with the Hz pickups?

I see there are a lot of different wiring options available for the obp-3

7. spego

spego Supporting Member

yes you can get them wired for 4 knobs. If it is ordered with all the pots prewired it should be a pretty easy install. Shouldn't have an issue with the HZ's since they are passive......if active EMGs you would need to specify 25K for the volume and/or blend pots (depending on what you prefer vol/vol or vol/blend)......since they are passive though you will not have a problem with standard pots.

8. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Slapn SLide go to the Spector Club site and ask those guys. THEY ARE AWESOME

9. Slap_N_Slide

Slap_N_Slide

Is that the forum post on here, or the yahoo groups forum?

10. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

no Talk bass in the Bass section look for Spector Club.. best Brothers and Sisters in the Bass world IMO

11. Slap_N_Slide

Slap_N_Slide

Thanks all for the input

The Aguilar OBP-3 looks like a good contender. If i can decide how to wire it :)

Ive asked the good brothers and sisters on the Spector thread.

Regards

12. Slap_N_Slide

Slap_N_Slide

Ive manage to narrow down my choices to 2 preamp systems to go with the EMG Hz pickups.

Glockenklang 3-Band Electronic Preamp With 4 Potentiometers - active/passive switch (push/pull on volume control), balance control without volume thomann reduction at mid position, treble control (+/-18dB @ 18kHz), bass control (+/-14dB @ 40Hz), mid control (+/-9dB @ 550Hz), staggered treble bass 9v powered.

Or

Aguilar OBP-3 wired in a 4 pot configuration. Been unable to find a kit in stock as yet.

Can anyone tell me which would be my best bet. I cant decide and don't have enough experience to make an informed choice.

And which wiring configuration would suit the Hz pups best.

Running the bass through a TC Electronic bc210 cab and BH500 amp. Also a BassPod XT-Live sometime.

Please help, I'm stuck as i don't know what :)

Thanks