Spector Rebop 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Apr 12, 2014.

1. malthumb

malthumb

I know somebody who wants to sell me a Spector Rebop 5 string for about $600. I'm totally unfamiliar with the bass, have never seen or played one. I don't need anymore basses. This is a situation where have a friend in another state who is in a tight spot and can use some cash. He doesn't want me to loan him any money. He's offered to sell me one of his instruments, with the understanding that if/when he gets on his feet, he may opt to buy it back for the same price.

I'll probably do this regardless, but want to get a feel for whether it is a $600 bass or not.
  2. inate_hex

inate_hex

I think it's a steal at that price
  3. inate_hex

inate_hex

They are around £1400 new in England
  4. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

Great basses, those Rebops!!!
  5. malthumb

malthumb

Thanks for the replies. I was curious because when I first went to check to see "what is this Rebop of which you speak", I saw basses with dots, basses with inlays, basses with soap bars, basses with P/J, basses listed for sale at $550, basses list for sale at $1,400. I was like "will the real Rebop please stand up...please stand up...please stand up"
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

7. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Inlays indicate that the bass is a rebopDLX. The first rebops had the dot inlays. The basses with the p/j pickups are generally going to be 4 stringers as spector usually equips their 5 string basses with soapbars.
  8. malthumb

malthumb

Don't have one until and unless he sends me one. Drawing from memory I know it's a natural finish. Not really figured. Can't recall if the fingerboard is maple or a darker wood or dots or inlays.
  9. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Would be worth asking for a few pics, even one of the serial number. You can send that picture to Spectors customer service rep and he'll tell you what the bass came stock with. At the very least it would be worth finding out if it's a DLX model as I'm pretty sure the older rebops came with the non trim tonepump preamp and a lot of people didn't really get along with that pre.
  10. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

A shop near me had a Czech-made Rebop 5 in natural, with dots instead of inlays. I think I looked it up on the Spector archives and it was a 2002 or thereabouts, so this particular one was 10-12 yrs old.

I played it on multiple visits to the shop and really liked the tone & feel of the neck. He was asking $999, which I felt was too high, even if it was a keeper. Other than a good bit of buckle rash on the back, it was in great shape. He was pretty firm on his price, even when I showed him similar Rebops had sold for betw/ $500-700 on TB & Ebay. If I had to peg an avg price from what I'd seen, I'd say $650-ish. I might've paid $700-750 if he came down to that, but he didn't. So it sat on his wall for about 2 years. Back around November-December, the bass was gone! Somebody must've ponied up close to a grand for it.

I ended up getting a Legend 5, but as it turned out, I didn't like the string spacing on the Spector 5s.
  11. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

DLX has block inlays. Rebops before 2003 or so had dot inlays and solid finishes. Not sure about the preamp, but I have a 2006 DLX-FM (figured maple top) with a non-trim TonePump. My go-to bass.
  12. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I had a Rebop Deluxe for a little over a year. It is very well made, and the neck is fat but comfortable. For the life of me, I could never get a sound out of it I liked and I tried very hard because it was a gift. Rebops come with EMG HZ pickups, which are passive, not the active EMGs on more expensive models.

I suspect I would love a Rebop with the single big humbucker in the Stingray position.
  14. malthumb

malthumb

The good news....I learned a lot more about Spector basses in this thread than I think I ever would have just poking around Google and eBay. Thanks guys!

On an even better note....a job prospect came through for his wife so they see a light at the end of the tunnel. He no longer needs to park the bass with me and is actually taking a loan from his brother until his wife's new income helps level them out.