1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Spector Rebop 5mm

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jolagh, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jolagh

Jolagh Supporting Member

About a year ago I bought a spector Rebop 5mm, which is the Rebop 5 string with a musicman style pickup, incase you didn't know. Anyway at first I really liked the sound of it, but over time I've found it to just be too scooped sounding and I just can't seem to find the sound I want out of it. Which is kind of a really low mid growl focused sound. I've heard a lot of people say the spector tone are scooped sounding, which is what this model has. It uses an emg hz musicman style pickup. To get more low mid growl, what do?

2. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

does it have the tone pump? imo, i would either change the pick ups or the pre
    amp (or both at the same time). asking here is a start, but i'd try to play some basses
    and find a sound i liked, find out whats in it and go from there.

3. Jolagh

Jolagh Supporting Member

Yeah it uses the tone pump. I was just curious what other people's experiences were with this bass. And what preamp or pickups they'd recommend.

4. therhodeo

therhodeo

I have a bass with an EMG HZ MM style pickup (and J neck but thats irrelevant) and its a super boring sounding pickup in my opinion. That would be where I would start if I wanted something different.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jolagh

Jolagh Supporting Member

Yeah I've been thinking about picking up a nordstrand 5.2 mm pickup. I'm worried that the problem lies more with my preamp than the pickup hence why I'm looking for more people's opinion on this.

7. gpx1200

gpx1200

I have 2 rebops and didn't care for the passive hz's at all a quick switch to some emg twx's and it's a whole new bass.
    I put a agular obp3 in one and kept the tone pump in the other, they sound different but I like bolth of them the tone pump is a little more harsh and edgy while the aggie is a little smoother it still has the spector grind but its deeper and seems pushed down into the low end more if that makes any sense. id say if you want a modern edgy tone stick with the tone pump or emg preamp and if want a warmer more vintage tone with a deeper growl then get an opb-3.
    one thing for shure if you like to use distortion and drive the front end of your amp with your bass output I don't think youll find another preamp with as much output as the tone pump, even at 18v the opb doesn't come close to the output of the tone pump on 9v

8. Jolagh

Jolagh Supporting Member

Alright sounds like I'll order and drop in a nordstrand pickup first and see where that puts me.

9. M Sharp

M Sharp Supporting Member

Did you swap the pick up? What was the result?

10. Jolagh

Jolagh Supporting Member

I know Im necroing this thread but I'm just now getting around to messing with this. As it turns out in my spector they used a four string MMhz because of the tight string apacing on spector 5s. Im currently in debate with the guys from nordstrand on whether or not they can do a 5 string pickup and fit it in the four string route.

11. Jolagh

Jolagh Supporting Member

The answer is no. Bad news for anyone using a rebop 5 MM. They can make a regular size 5.2 MM fit the string spacing but they cant make a 5.2 in a 4.2 shell. So i'll probably end up trading or selling this bass off for something that fits my tonal wants more.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Bartolini and Delano make them. Either would be a stunning improvement over an EMG.
    http://bestbassgear.3dcartstores.co...String-Musicman-Pickup-Bright-Tone_p_160.html

http://bestbassgear.3dcartstores.com/Delano-MC5-HES--5-String-Bass-Pickup_p_2278.html

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  13. Nicki Tedesco

Nicki Tedesco

Hello!
    sorry for the late reply. I actually designed the remake of this bass. The purpose of the tone of this bass was to be used as a slap bass mimicking closely the music man's style of playing with the pickup configuration. If you are looking for a growly tone, YES SPECTOR IS THE ANSWER...but I would highly highly recommend the Euro 4LX or 5LX. Those are serious growling tone basses! Hope this helps!