1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Spector Rebop 5mm

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jolagh, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jolagh

Jolagh

About a year ago I bought a spector Rebop 5mm, which is the Rebop 5 string with a musicman style pickup, incase you didn't know. Anyway at first I really liked the sound of it, but over time I've found it to just be too scooped sounding and I just can't seem to find the sound I want out of it. Which is kind of a really low mid growl focused sound. I've heard a lot of people say the spector tone are scooped sounding, which is what this model has. It uses an emg hz musicman style pickup. To get more low mid growl, what do?
  2. Dug2

Dug2

does it have the tone pump? imo, i would either change the pick ups or the pre
    amp (or both at the same time). asking here is a start, but i'd try to play some basses
    and find a sound i liked, find out whats in it and go from there.
  3. Jolagh

Jolagh

Yeah it uses the tone pump. I was just curious what other people's experiences were with this bass. And what preamp or pickups they'd recommend.
  4. therhodeo

therhodeo

I have a bass with an EMG HZ MM style pickup (and J neck but thats irrelevant) and its a super boring sounding pickup in my opinion. That would be where I would start if I wanted something different.
  5. Jolagh

Jolagh

Yeah I've been thinking about picking up a nordstrand 5.2 mm pickup. I'm worried that the problem lies more with my preamp than the pickup hence why I'm looking for more people's opinion on this.
  6. gpx1200

gpx1200

I have 2 rebops and didn't care for the passive hz's at all a quick switch to some emg twx's and it's a whole new bass.
    I put a agular obp3 in one and kept the tone pump in the other, they sound different but I like bolth of them the tone pump is a little more harsh and edgy while the aggie is a little smoother it still has the spector grind but its deeper and seems pushed down into the low end more if that makes any sense. id say if you want a modern edgy tone stick with the tone pump or emg preamp and if want a warmer more vintage tone with a deeper growl then get an opb-3.
    one thing for shure if you like to use distortion and drive the front end of your amp with your bass output I don't think youll find another preamp with as much output as the tone pump, even at 18v the opb doesn't come close to the output of the tone pump on 9v
  7. Jolagh

Jolagh

Alright sounds like I'll order and drop in a nordstrand pickup first and see where that puts me.