Spector suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RNV, Dec 30, 2012.

1. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I play in a metal band and we tune normally to drop C and I am torn between a Rebop and a neck through Euro. The NTB has the PJ while the rebop is....... a rebop. Both have the Spector Tone Pump pre amps. The NTB is a 1.5" nut width, which I like and am comfortable with, but the Rebop is standard width and I'm not sure what that would be for Spector.

Both are the same color and I have been wanting a Spector for years. So the difference in tone between the two is what? If both of these basses where in your price range, which would you pick?

I like the wood graining much better on the Rebop.

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I own a Euro Rebop and a Euro 4LX neck thru. Both are very nice basses. The problem, I have had with the 4LX is that the tone pump circuit is so hot that the bass "farts" through the speakers when I play even slightly more aggressively than I normally play or do any type of slide up the neck. The model I have does not have a trim pot so I cannot adjust the output. I play my MIA Fenders for everything now. If you buy a Spector, open the cavity and make sure it has a trim pot.

3. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Have you played both of them? Personally I prefer the tone of a neck-thru Spector with P/J's, but the tone of the Rebop is nothing to sneeze at...but the pickups are HZ's, however the Rebop is probably a bit lighter, and the finish on the back of the neck is satin. You can change the Rebop into a P/J just by replacing the DC's with P/J's in the DC housing...40P/40J's I think. I have owned 4 and 5 string versions of both, and there were things I really liked about both.

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

2008+ TonePumps will have a trim pot.
    I own a 2011 American Fender P5 and a 2006 ReBop 5DLX. I main the ReBop because it has much more tonal variety & can stand out in the mix.
    The spacing & neck width on the ReBop is quite comfortable, and I have a much easier time playing it on long sets, compared to the Fender. Probably going to sell the Fender & get another Spector, honestly.

This is what I'm doing to mine. EMG 40P5 & 40J pickups, and probably a BQC pre-amp, or a Trim Tonepump. Great pickups, though the EMG-HZ are nothing to scoff at. They're great pickups, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

^THIS! I had the same setup on a ReBop 5, mine had a EMG pre...it was sort of the best of all worlds...sounded fantastic...Im sure I wouldve loved it with the Tone Pump as well, I am a big fan of that pre.

7. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Are you buying new or used? There's obviously the question of budget, but it sounds like you can pull a trigger on either. If that's the case I'd say go with the Euro. I have both a ReBop and a Euro (both 5 string tuned to standard B) and where the ReBop is a fantastic bass, the Euro is better. Stronger output, better sustain, more tonal options with the push/pull pots and the pickups are better obviously.

The HZ's on the ReBop are damn good pickups, I've played it though a number of cabs and never experienced any farting. No complaints on the bass at all.

I guess you've played them both and like them (if not, why not? :D) but yeah. My suggestion is go with Euro if you can :)

8. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Tony,

Are you looking for a 4 or 5 string? I know one of the Spectors Euro 4s has a 35" scale neck which might be better for drop C. Are you looking for a P/J or dual humbucker pick-up config? Also what type of tone are you looking for. I picked up an older Spector 80's NS2A for around $500. Don't underestimate that model. It can get very grindy/nasty with the trim-pot tone pump and active EMG P/J's. Think early AIC, or Staind Mudshovel. I play tuned a 1/2 step down with the occational drop D and it sounds great. Good luck with your choice.

9. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

You can adjust the output, and rather easily. Use the 2 volume knobs on the front. :p

I have a Euro with the non-trim tonepump, and the output is hot as hell - there are two ways to get around this;

1. Set the volume knobs on your bass around 5 or 6. This is what I do - that way, I can leave my amp's gain at one setting for all of my basses, and it also has the best tone of the two options. My Euro sounds killer like this (almost as good as my USA Spector NS-4), with none of the "farting" through the speakers that you describe.

2. Run your bass volume knobs at 10 & adjust your amp's gain down to below clipping levels. This works, but if you have multiple basses, the gain will likely be too low if using anything other than the non-trim tonepump Euro. Also, this method tends to have a harsher high end than when the volumes are trimmed back.

That said, yes, opt for the trim pot tonepump if possible, but don't let that be a deal breaker - replacement tonepumps with the trim pots are reasonably priced & easy to install.

10. superdick2112

Euro all the way. Superior sustain with the neck-thru, and I can tell you from experience that the Euro sounds great in C tuning. Mine is currently set in drop-D, with my USA NS-4 tuned to E, and my CRFM tuned to E-flat.

11. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

My euro 5LX is in drop A, sounds KILLER through my rig. I've been contemplating ordering a custom Rebop 5MM in green with maple neck and black inlays, just gotta wait for the right time to come by. You really wont be disappointed either way, but the Rebop will most likely be a little bit lighter (don't take my word on it as I exclusively play 5's). Here's my Euro 5, I bought it about a year and a half ago and it's been my best musicwise purchase to date. This bass isn't going anywhere and it's really making me want another one :hyper::bassist:

[​IMG]

12. dukeisdog

+1 to #1.

I have an 06 non trim euro 5LX (see above) and I run it with my pickup volume knobs at a little over half way, keep the bass pretty flat, and boost treble for the tone. The non trim TP is adjustable to a certian extent, and I don't feel the need to upgrade after messing around with the knobs and finding my tone.

13. superdick2112

dukeisdog - that is beautiful! It looks like the 5-string European brother to my NS-4.
    :bassist:

[​IMG]

14. levis76

levis76

Am I to understand that you're Spector doesn't have a volume pot? The trim pot reduces the gain of the preamp, not exactly the same function as the volume, but pretty darn close. Try lowering the volume and see what happens.

15. dukeisdog

Yup, lower pickup volume on the bass, compensate with raising volume on amp. It will keep the bass cleaner, but amplify it louder.

16. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

I use a euro 4lx set up for D standard (with the low string dropped to C) with my metal project. I get a very nice, aggressive yet focused tone with that setup, and my bandmates love how it sits in the mix.
    IMO, YMMV, etc.

edit- here are some clips I recorded (pardon the sloppy playing :p )

euro 4lx quick sound clip
    https://soundcloud.com/slapadabass69/euro-4lx-sound-clip/s-Icj1u
    ^I think I was clipping the input a bit on this one- the sound is a little 'fartier' than it is live
    With the band (recorded live with an Iphone with the bass re-recorded in garageband. This is just after we finished writing it, so it needs some tightening up.)
    https://soundcloud.com/slapadabass69/if-we-wanted-to-we-could/s-i8bqS

17. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Exactly the same method when getting a hot signal in a studio setting. Works for everything :)

18. awilkie84

awilkie84

I run my ReBop at full bore and adjust using the gain on the amp. I like being able to have the pickups as uninhibited as possible. If I could, I'd actually pull the volume pot and put in a kill switch, but I might end up regretting it.

19. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Thanks. I think I will try them both and the Euro is going to have to blow me away to consider spending the extra cash. And yes, they will be new. I have never owned a new bass and it is time I give myself something nice for once. Either one is a huge step up from my Ibby SR500. Who knows, I may find a Sterling or Warwick that wins the war. I'll find out in March when I raid Bass Central.