Spectracomp in a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by silky smoove, Apr 15, 2014.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove

I've always really liked the sound and feel of the Spectracomp in the TC Electronic RH series heads. I've been wanting a different flavor than my current compressor, an MXR M87, and would love to get something with a similar vibe to the Spectracomp circuit. It needs to be powered by a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ (ie 9V, or unregulated 12-16V). Suggestions?

2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Subscribed....I've been wondering the same thing.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove

I'm surprised that TC hasn't put the circuit into a pedal already. Evidently they don't think there's much market for it. I'd buy one yesterday if they were available. It's the last thing I'd reach for in the studio, but for live use I always found it to be really effective.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

There's a Spectracomp Toneprint for the BG250 amp - does anyone know if that can apply to the pedals?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. silky smoove

silky smoove

Anybody else care to weigh in on this?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Even TC's various rack compressors don't have the exact same function as the Spectracomp, from what I have read.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'll be honest I didn't really notice a difference in the Spectracomp circuit over a conventional compressor. I think FEA labs would be the closest they have a dual band compressor that has separate controls for the low and high bands.

9. Gazonga

Gazonga

Isn't the EBS MultiComp an option? I LOVE mine.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well there is the question of how many bands the signal is divided into, and how each band is processed. The EBS is two-band, the Spectra is three or four bands (unclear from what TC says). And there are other three-band comps out there, but they may not have the same programmed response as the Spectra.

TC's discontinued Nova Dynamics pedal has a multi band mode that might be similar.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove

I've tried the Nova pedal, and it sounded very different from the Spectracomp.

The dual band FEA has been on my radar for a while. I'll probably end up going that route.