Spending a little now and more over time vs Spending less all at once?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MX5J6, Nov 17, 2012.

1. MX5J6

MX5J6

Ok so I will be getting a custom rig and custom bass done for me in the coming months. However i have been getting offers to audition for bands but the thing is I don't have a decent rig at the moment.

I will have around $400 in december. I was origionally planning on saving that and putting it towards a new rig and/or bass in feb. or march. The rig will cost about $1500-$2300. The bass, anywhere from $1100-2000+ depending on what I get done. Now that is a lot of coin.

So I can either

A. Invest in a decent practice rig for around $400 give or take, then try to resell it later on and get some of my money back to put towards my full rig and bass.

B. Wait like I planned before and just hold off on band auditions, practice more and spend a little less in the end vs losing money on a rig I don't plan on keeping.

So what should I do? Music is important to me but without a decent rig i can't even practice with bands. On the other hand that $400 takes a good chunk out of the rig I will be keeping and getting done custom. So I am not entirely sure what path to take from here.

Suggestions?
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would wait you can get a decent practice setup but you still won't have a decent rig to gig and you would have to borrow or rent and that's more money taken out of your dream rig fund.
  3. MX5J6

MX5J6

That's what I was thinking. Though i have 3 bands I can audition for but I wouldn't be of any use without a decent rig to play with, not just practice with.

I think it'd probably be more beneficial to everyone if i just hold off and get what i really want. otherwise it will just end up setting me back.

The next question is do I REALLY need to go custom or can i spend maybe 1/2-2/3 as much and get something still good but have more to spend on my dream bass...

I was looking into fEARful cabs which would cost me around $2000 probably, though I have heard they are pretty amazing. Or I can get a couple shelf cabs and save myself some extra cash to have to spend elsewhere.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

How about renting? I don't know what its like around where you are, but I just finished renting a 400W head for a month that got me through the period of being "between" amps, and it cost less than $20. It did what I needed it to - mainly practice, but I wouldn't have hesitated to gig with it either.
  7. MX5J6

MX5J6

I never really thought about renting. I just assumed it'd be kind of pricey so I didn't consider it. I will look into it though. Thanks for the suggestion. I just need to find a place around here to do that now.
  8. Renaissance

Renaissance

How old are you? How long have you been playing?

I'm asking because you sound young and inexperienced. You've given an estimate of between $2600 - 4300 for a custom bass and "rig". Who are these bands after you to audition? Are these gigging bands? Are they getting paid?

I wouldn't cheap out but I don't think you have enough experience/knowledge to go spend that kind of cash on a bass rig. Look for some decent used gear and save a bundle.

If I have misjudged you, I apologize.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Honestly, I've seen people put together nice gigging rigs for less than a grand for the entire thing.
  10. MX5J6

MX5J6

I am 21 and haven't been playing too long but I'm picking up up pretty quickly. I honestly didn't expect people to even be interested in me but I was wrong. They are gigging bands though I don't know if they are still doing free shows for publicity or if they are making money off of it.

So no, you haven't misjudged me at all. I guess I'm just a little too ambitious for my own good sometimes. Haha I will slow down and look for decent used year before I do anything. I guess I shouldn't let a couple bands going after me get to my head and ask me or make myself spend a good chunk of change on something I may not be ready for yet.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I would try to borrow a rig for the auditions and THEN make your decision. If you try out for the bands and they all suck you will have wasted money getting a rig now. However, if one of them is your dream gig and offers you the job (but only if you take it now) then you should get a decent rig and worry about a bunch of custom stuff later. Besides, the custom stuff that's in your head right now might not even fit the gig you get well so I would hold off the dream gear until you find a gig anyway. But that's just me. Not every really nice bass and rig fits every gig. Just because it's custom that doesn't mean it does everything well. So get a gig and then get really nice gear that FITS that gig.
  12. MX5J6

MX5J6

That makes sense. I am glad I found this place or I'd be in debt. XD
  13. Renaissance

Renaissance

Nothing wrong with wanting nice gear! The only problem is, right now you don't have enough experience to really know what you want or need.

Yeah, go find some decent used gear and get started on your musical journey. Trust me, you'll find plenty to spend some serious coinage on as you progress.

Good luck!
  14. MX5J6

MX5J6

Thanks for the advice. You guys have probably saved me a couple grand at least. =]
  15. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Hey you're already WAY ahead of most guys your age because you are TAKING the good advice. You couldn't tell me anything when I was 21. And I imagine most guys your age today are the same.

Best of luck and ENJOY the hunt for your perfect setup! (Hint: You never find it but you will keep hunting anyway..... but that's fun too!)
  16. MX5J6

MX5J6

Haha yeah most people I know my age are pretty stubborn. Newly able to drink in the states and this k they know everything. Haha thanks for the compliment btw. I will most definitely enjoy the journey.
  17. Mehve

Mehve

Yeah, just to reiterate what's been said already, seeing someone talking about putting thousands of dollars towards a "custom rig", that doesn't already have some gear to work with, that sets off a few warning bells in my head.

There's just too many directions you can go "custom", and it's nothing but a blind lottery if you don't have as many points of reference and experience as possible to guide yourself with. You can also get a lot of really good stuff that will let you gig anywhere, all without going boutique.
  18. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

I'd buy a used rig that gets the job done. hunt down something that'll keep it's resale value and just flip it once you have enough saved up for your dream rig. Even if it' pushes back your dream rig by 6 month it won't be money wasted
  19. onosson

onosson

I have played music for a living for 20+ years, and only in the past 5 or so have I had anything that I would think of as gear that I am really happy with. You have lots of time - get something gig-worthy now and worry about the "dream rig" later.
  20. Some good advice here. I sold everything 12 years ago when I was transfered to China. When I returned a few years ago a LOT of changes had occured. I decided to move back in slowly - bought a 5-string bass from MF for about $150. Got a small practice amp and a DI box. I was working (making $) within a few weeks. By the end of 6 months I had a PB and a GK 350 watt combo. I'm 64. You have PLENTY of time to spend the big bucks. Get good first - paying gigs come quicker when you're good.
  21. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You must have a bass already so that's that box ticked.

Playing in a working band builds skills too.

I vote buying a cheap amp and best cab you can afford and having at it.